Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ordered my ZB on Friday night....

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY23 Tesla Model 3 RWD, MY23 Tesla Model Y RWD
Good to hear. Care to provide a comparison to the VF Calais?

OK here goes....

Since the launch of VF, we'd pretty much always leased Calais V (with an occasional Redline for fun :p), so when it came closer to the end of manufacturing in Adelaide, it was the natural thing to purchase a VF - particularly as I got the opportunity to see the car on the production line in GA, and take a bunch of photos of it being built, memories that will stay with me for ever - I still enjoy looking at those photos to this day. I honestly didn't expect that 18 months or so later, I'd be trading the VF in - although I will say that the lack of addition of Android Auto/Apple Carplay to VF at MY16 is one of my biggest disappointments in the car.

Anyway - I digress! My wife is the main driver of the Commodore - we also have a MY17 RS Astra. A few months back, my wife first learned about AEB, and also starting feeling that the VF was too big. She started researching other makes/models, even looking at much smaller cars (not real practical with two golden retrievers!!). So I started looking at other medium/large sedans - it basically came down to Mazda 6 and the ZB. After driving both, there was no comparison in terms of performance.

Back to a comparison with the VF....

- styling - the ZB is much more subtle than the VF Calais V - the big chrome grille on the VF makes a real statement, as do the chrome belt line mouldings and body side mouldings, however, a 2013 Calais V and 2017 Calais V look essentially the same bar wheels and a subtle paint colour change on the grille. When I first saw a ZB in early 2017, it really did nothing for me, but the more I see the new car, the more I like it.

- interior - love the instrument layout with the large LCD screen for the speedo, and ability to change themes. HUD seems clearer than VF, and unlike the Mazda 6 HUD - can be viewed whilst wearing polarised lense sunglasses. New radio/screen and simplicity of controls is a big improvement over VF - why on earth there were so many buttons on a touch screen radio was always beyond me. Glovebox is next to useless it's so small. Steering wheel controls are excellent, switches seem much smoother to operate than on VF.

- seats - my wife is addicted to the massage function in the drivers seat, I like the ventilation function now the weather is warming up :p heated seats in the rear is a nice touch. Right now I'd say the VF seats were maybe a bit more comfortable, but it may be I haven't got the bolsters in the right position yet (they're adjustable for more support in ZB) - currently feels the seat is too narrow.

- technology - lane keep assist, android auto, adaptive cruise are all big ticks on the ZB; wireless phone charging is nice - but neither of our current phones support it :( 360 degree camera is awesome too, as is the ability to flip the screen to the forward camera view

- performance - 9 speed auto is silky smooth, MUCH nicer exhaust note than on the VF, performance is excellent (extra 25kW or so than the VF, and 3x extra gears).

Overall we're very happy with it!! Happy to answer any questions anyone might have.

Last edited:

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
I had the turbo RS on the weekend in Melbourne. 4th one I've rented. V6 is way better, however turbo is still nice to drive - standard 4cyl is rubbish. I enjoy driving them, the tech is awesome... however the first thing my mate pointed out was how boring the interior is compared to the VF... definitely agree.
Bit confused by the comments on turbo RS and standard 4 cyl? there is only one 4 cylinder engine on ZB, the 2.0L turbo?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline MY15 Series 1
OK here goes....

Since the launch of VF, we'd pretty much always leased Calais V (with an occasional Redline for fun :p), so when it came closer to the end of manufacturing in Adelaide, it was the natural thing to purchase a VF - particularly as I got the opportunity to see the car on the production line in GA, and take a bunch of photos of it being built, memories that will stay with me for ever - I still enjoy looking at those photos to this day. I honestly didn't expect that 18 months or so later, I'd be trading the VF in - although I will say that the lack of addition of Android Auto/Apple Carplay to VF at MY16 is one of my biggest disappointments in the car.

Anyway - I digress! My wife is the main driver of the Commodore - we also have a MY17 RS Astra. A few months back, my wife first learned about AEB, and also starting feeling that the VF was too big. She started researching other makes/models, even looking at much smaller cars (not real practical with two golden retrievers!!). So I started looking at other medium/large sedans - it basically came down to Mazda 6 and the ZB. After driving both, there was no comparison in terms of performance.

Back to a comparison with the VF....

- styling - the ZB is much more subtle than the VF Calais V - the big chrome grille on the VF makes a real statement, as do the chrome belt line mouldings and body side mouldings, however, a 2013 Calais V and 2017 Calais V look essentially the same bar wheels and a subtle paint colour change on the grille. When I first saw a ZB in early 2017, it really did nothing for me, but the more I see the new car, the more I like it.

- interior - love the instrument layout with the large LCD screen for the speedo, and ability to change themes. HUD seems clearer than VF, and unlike the Mazda 6 HUD - can be viewed whilst wearing polarised lense sunglasses. New radio/screen and simplicity of controls is a big improvement over VF - why on earth there were so many buttons on a touch screen radio was always beyond me. Glovebox is next to useless it's so small. Steering wheel controls are excellent, switches seem much smoother to operate than on VF.

- seats - my wife is addicted to the massage function in the drivers seat, I like the ventilation function now the weather is warming up :p heated seats in the rear is a nice touch. Right now I'd say the VF seats were maybe a bit more comfortable, but it may be I haven't got the bolsters in the right position yet (they're adjustable for more support in ZB) - currently feels the seat is too narrow.

- technology - lane keep assist, android auto, adaptive cruise are all big ticks on the ZB; wireless phone charging is nice - but neither of our current phones support it :( 360 degree camera is awesome too, as is the ability to flip the screen to the forward camera view

- performance - 9 speed auto is silky smooth, MUCH nicer exhaust note than on the VF, performance is excellent (extra 25kW or so than the VF, and 3x extra gears).

Overall we're very happy with it!! Happy to answer any questions anyone might have.

Thanks for the review.

One question I’ve always had is about integration of CarPlay (and it sounds like you’re using Android so might not be able to directly answer) - if you use mapping on CarPlay will directions etc. be integrated into the HUD and the instrument cluster as the native mapping is?

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the review.

One question I’ve always had is about integration of CarPlay (and it sounds like you’re using Android so might not be able to directly answer) - if you use mapping on CarPlay will directions etc. be integrated into the HUD and the instrument cluster as the native mapping is?

It certainly isn't with Android Auto - I'd be guessing it isn't on carplay either....

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
I had the turbo RS on the weekend in Melbourne. 4th one I've rented. V6 is way better, however turbo is still nice to drive - standard 4cyl is rubbish. I enjoy driving them, the tech is awesome... however the first thing my mate pointed out was how boring the interior is compared to the VF... definitely agree.

What is the standard 4Cyl used on?

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
I drove the Calais Tourer last night and enjoyed it. I have driven all of the variants now including VXR, Calais V and the RS Commodore. The AWD is awesome. The V6 is pretty good too. I used to own a VF Calais V and this this is nicer to drive. I drove this car for 90 mins and went 100km round trip and was very impressed. I got back in the redline and thought wow this car is noisy and such a rough ride on the road. But the V8 is still awesome. Although the V6 has plenty of power and seemed ok on the litres used per 100km. If people are able to get past the looks of this car, they'll love driving them.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
The above posts about the engines showed me how little I know, or am interested in the ZB.
I checked the Holden website, and found that you can get either a FWD 4 cyl turbo diesel, or an AWD petrol V6 ……. big choice, end of story.
Is that it ? Only 2 engines ?

Edit, …. wrong. There is a Turbo petrol 4cyl. Confusing website and slow to load, just have to look for the 'correct' model.

Last edited:

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Is that it ? Only 2 engines ?

You mean just like all Commodores for the last 30 plus years ? (well excluding the 3.0 that lived a short life.)

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
There is one thing that must be remembered when comparing any VF to the ZB.
The VF is early 2000's engineering, gradually refined and updated until 2015. After that, refinement stopped, the only real changes being equipment levels, colours and trim.

The ZB is a decade later in design and engineering. Like it or not, it represents the way that type and size of car has evolved during the VE/F lifespan. Lamenting the VF is fine and if you have one you treasure, keep it as long as possible. Just remember that one day, you WILL replace it and you will have to adjust your thinking about cars to suit what's available, not necessarily what you lust for.

dah_man_ben

Reaction score
Members Ride
Tesla Model 3 Performance, Mazda 6
I drove the Calais Tourer last night and enjoyed it. I have driven all of the variants now including VXR, Calais V and the RS Commodore. The AWD is awesome. The V6 is pretty good too. I used to own a VF Calais V and this this is nicer to drive. I drove this car for 90 mins and went 100km round trip and was very impressed. I got back in the redline and thought wow this car is noisy and such a rough ride on the road. But the V8 is still awesome. Although the V6 has plenty of power and seemed ok on the litres used per 100km. If people are able to get past the looks of this car, they'll love driving them.

Absolutely... I also think they are nicer to drive than the VF if you can get over the looks or are not self conscious with any 'hardcore' Holden fans whinging about what you drive. Looking forward to giving the VXR a crack anyway at some stage.