Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ordered my ZB on Friday night....

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Absolutely... I also think they are nicer to drive than the VF if you can get over the looks or are not self conscious with any 'hardcore' Holden fans whinging about what you drive. Looking forward to giving the VXR a crack anyway at some stage.
Like an ugly wife that's good in bed!!!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Saw one on the road yesterday, in person I just don't find it appealing and it easily disappears amoungst all the other cars. Also seems a fair bit smaller than the VF, been that I'm a bit bigger than the average bloke as is the rest of my family (other than the missus) I just don't see it suiting our needs any time soon.

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
Parked next to a ZB Calais at the shops this arvo. Exactly as Immo said, pretty uninspiring and blends in with the sea of Mazdas parked in the vicinity.
I'd still consider one if in the market for a run of the mill car though.

Villa_23

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS 2.0 turbo
I’ve had my RS around 6 months and I still absolutely love it.

It does need a few modifications such as bigger wheels and lowered suspension(which I’m finding hard to find) but apart from that it’s a great car.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
Absolutely... I also think they are nicer to drive than the VF if you can get over the looks or are not self conscious with any 'hardcore' Holden fans whinging about what you drive. Looking forward to giving the VXR a crack anyway at some stage.
Hmmm...depends what’s meant by ‘nicer to drive’ but I would think for many on here ‘nicer to drive’ would be an LS3 without 10speed/AWD etc than 10speed/AWD without an LS3..I expect it would be for me. I wouldn’t rule a ZB out as a second car...but as an only car...nah, don’t think so.

dah_man_ben

Reaction score
Members Ride
Tesla Model 3 Performance, Mazda 6
Hmmm...depends what’s meant by ‘nicer to drive’ but I would think for many on here ‘nicer to drive’ would be an LS3 without 10speed/AWD etc than 10speed/AWD without an LS3..I expect it would be for me. I wouldn’t rule a ZB out as a second car...but as an only car...nah, don’t think so.

Obviously I am not comparing it to an SS, I also own an LS3 and prefer it in spades to a ZB 2.0T or V6. That being said, compared to the VF SV6, it drives, handles, sounds and feels more refined. Not the best looker going around though and arguably a bastardised Commodore but its what Holden's selling and that's that.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Seen another cop car version of it today.....

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY23 Tesla Model 3 RWD, MY23 Tesla Model Y RWD
Saw one on the road yesterday, in person I just don't find it appealing and it easily disappears amoungst all the other cars. Also seems a fair bit smaller than the VF, been that I'm a bit bigger than the average bloke as is the rest of my family (other than the missus) I just don't see it suiting our needs any time soon.

The size is deceptive (IMHO). Based on the official specs - ZB is 74mm shorter and 36mm narrower than VF. I'm 6'3" and have no issues in terms of size in the _front_ seats. In the back seat, I do notice the reduced headroom compared to the VF due to the sloped roof. Totally agree the styling is a little bland and they don't stand out like a VF, but it does grow on you :)

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TBH, I didn't even realise what I was looking at other than it was brand new and shiny, the car stopped beside me, I had to wait until it pulled out of the street and I saw the badge that I realised what it was.

I'm just shy of 6'6" and both my boys are well over 6' as well. Room is a premium

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
I am 6'2" and my son is 6'4". I own a VF SV6 and an E3 R8 325Kw. My son just bought a new Astra R+ Hatch (1.4 Turbo). I've driven the new Commodore 4 cyl and V6 and the V6 was a much more refined drive without the terrible FWD wheel spin and sat nicely on the road. Neither my son or myself can sit in the back seat without hitting our heads on the ceiling. Not ideal for a long trip of any kind.

The Astra hatch has better leg room and head room in the back seat than the Commodore sedan/hatch. So I thought I would take the Astra Hatch 1.6 turbo for a drive and it started to show the same FWD characteristics of the FWD Commodore. I didn't like how unrefined the drivetrain was on the road.

For a daily drive that doesn't need awesome performance as part of the criteria, I would choose the $19,990 driveway Astra R+ hatch over any of the other Astra or Commodore variants available today, but only because there's no VF anymore.