Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ordered new 8" 2DIN Sat Nav Stereo for my VE Series I

Discussion in 'VE Holden Commodore (2006 - 2013)' started by gazac, Jul 1, 2016.

1. stooge

stooge Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV
    it looks like there is going to be no fix for dual zone any time soon or at all.
    matt hasn't replied to me about a fix or any more testing needed so it looks like they just cant do it.

the work around I am using in my ssv(dual zone) is to source a single zone hcm out of an omega or sv6 and swap out the dual zone hcm for the single zone hcm.

picture of hcm.
    [​IMG]

this works perfectly for cold/ac but with the heater only the passenger side gets heat the drivers side stays cold, you can just put the passenger side on heat and close the drivers vents off using the little flow adjuster dial on each vent and the car will heat up fine even with the ac on.

I don't use the heater so for me the single zone hcm fixed the problem for me as I only use cold.

2. cewing

cewing Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV SWAGON
    It's a shame. So many products have come so close to being good - if only someone could see the potential!!!

VS_Pete likes this.
  3. NU13

NU13 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    2007 E1 HSV GTS Manual
    Thats a shame. I had money set aside for it as well.

rucxy likes this.
  4. rucxy

rucxy Donating Member

Members Ride:
    06 VE SSV L98
    Thinking I may have to invest in a Series 2 IQ unit now.

5. NU13

NU13 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    2007 E1 HSV GTS Manual
    I thought those didn't fit the series 1?

6. rucxy

rucxy Donating Member

Members Ride:
    06 VE SSV L98
    Yeah, they do mate.
    New headunit, plastic dash surrounds, wiring patch cable.

7. stooge

stooge Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV
  8. soleit

soleit Member

Members Ride:
    09 VE SS-V
    Bugger it, as much as I'd love to get the digoptions, seems to be a real lack of intention to fix the duel zone issue and since the Mrs likes temp on her side different, not interested in changing the SSV to a single zone. Getting this instead and go with a unit that has all I need without bells I wouldn't use https://www.facebook.com/G8Designs/

9. stooge

stooge Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV
  10. gazac

gazac Member

Members Ride:
    VE SV6
    Thanks Stooge for the info, have change all the LEDs to red (0603) & painted the unit
    & trim Satin Black, it looks much better. I had the green & blue LED's as well.

I must say it was a pain doing them small small LEDs, I pickup a hot air gun & using solder paste
    added the LEDs, first time using a hot air gun & it great, the best way to solder SMD's

Thanks for all your help

11. HaRdCoRe WhOrE

HaRdCoRe WhOrE New Member

Members Ride:
    MY10 VESS G8 PONTIAC
    upload_2016-12-22_16-20-46.png upload_2016-12-22_16-3-31.png upload_2016-12-22_16-6-2.png upload_2016-12-22_16-7-0.png I
    upload_2016-12-22_16-12-10.png

Hey VE owners. Come across your forum the other night. Now after scrolling through 7 pages about 8 DIN stereo, I was surprised to see no one had mentioned the "G8 Designs Facebook Page" "https://www.facebook.com/G8Designs/" Now, I to am a VESS G8 Pontiac Owner and am no way affiliated with them. That said, Check these guys out. I came across them a few months back, and after reading up these guys have it down pat. 3 Connections in total, "Plug + Play". Comes with LCD dual climate control in both Celsius and Fahrenheit and including hazard light. You also get a fully fitted fascia which will fit any 9 Din off the shelf stereo. It also comes with Bluetooth connector and connections for rear view camera. For $10 bucks extra you get a DVD playback in motion switch. All steering wheel controls still function. You can also turn your factory fitted LCD screen above the vents to show oil Pressure. The climate control can also be customized to show Holden symbol on startup. Everything you need plus delivery, minus the stereo for under a $1000 USD. They have been shipping to the our shores for nearly 4 years. They even have a diffuser for the rear bumper to fill in the old faded honeycomb design. There are also a few videos on YouTube about it. I personally will be placing my order in the next 2 couple of weeks. Hope some of you find this a cheaper option and more useful.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  12. soleit

soleit Member

Members Ride:
    09 VE SS-V
    Already mentioned and linked 2 posts up but at least your massive ad proves you're not affiliated.

Predator9211 and NU13 like this.
  13. cewing

cewing Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV SWAGON
    I think most of us are aware of that unit. It's a crude and ugly solution, hence why the units featured in this thread have garnered so much attention-they look stock.

14. stooge

stooge Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV
    I have to agree that g8 one looks strange I'm not a fan of it.

looking on the webpage it says $650 USD for just the fascia kit that works out to be around $900 AUD that's pretty expensive for a fascia that does not really suit the look/style of the ve dash.
    they need to reshape it to suit the ve dash a bit more because the current style looks like its for a late 90's kia or something.

NU13 likes this.
  15. dans_vz

dans_vz Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY16 VFII SSV Redline Manual & 05 VZ Calais daily
    The ol classic "I'm not affiliated but my post shows that I clearly am"....

TazzI likes this.
  16. HaRdCoRe WhOrE

HaRdCoRe WhOrE New Member

Members Ride:
    MY10 VESS G8 PONTIAC
    Hi Dan. Let me start by apologizing. I didn't realize, that being able to cut and paste info I had found during my own searches for a new VE system, made a person affiliated with a said post. Appreciate the fact you know a lot about ME especially after the fact, that we have never met. Now I personally don't sign up to many forums. But in this case after coming across this site and reading the above post which was very informative by the way. I thought I would share (AS FORUMS DO) what I had found earlier in the day during my search for a new and updated stereo for my VE.
    So champ, how about next time someone decides to take the time out, to sign up and post to a great website with there little bit of informative knowledge of what is out there in the market. You take the time, to make them feel welcome whether its a "I like the post" or "I don't like It". But to accuse one of been an advertiser or affiliate of the info given, is a little disappointing.

17. dans_vz

dans_vz Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY16 VFII SSV Redline Manual & 05 VZ Calais daily
    Hi mate,
    Firstly its not about making you feel welcome or unwelcome, no need to apologise.
    About three posts above your first post on this page, someone mentioned the G8 Facebook page link.
    You then posted that you were surprised no one mentioned it. Huh? It was mentioned three posts above the post you made??
    Infact I'm pretty sure its been mentioned more than once in this thread, but I'm not going to go back through 7 pages of posts.

Out of interest, how do you know so much about the product? Have you seen a demo of it or do you have a mate who already has this setup?
    If you have done a lot of research and that's how you know what you do about this unit, well that's great.
    But when there's a heap of pics and a slab of text about it, can you sort of see my point of view that it might look a little bit spammy?

If you aren't trying to sell them then thats fine, I would apologise for the comment, but time will tell if you actually hang around or if you just made that post to promote the G8 designs setup.
    I'm happy to be corrected. But it is frustrating going on some forums for years and people pop up for 5mins to promote something then disappear. I'm not saying that's you, but it does happen.
    I'm sure others on this forum would agree with what I'm saying.
    I hope I'm wrong and that you do stick around for a long time.
    Have a good one.

18. Predator9211

Predator9211 Member

Members Ride:
    VE Wagon
    ahahah that definitely sounds like an advertisement! :D Dans right though the G8 designs been mentioned before, most people just dont go down that road because of the styling and the price. The dig unit is way more factory looking and is cheaper. No one was having a go at you mate but it really does sound like an advertisement when you post a paragraph promoting a product

dans_vz likes this.
  19. gazac

gazac Member

Members Ride:
    VE SV6
    Well what did I start, now 7 pages, I'm sorry that DigOptions does not have dual climate control, seeing as my VE SV6 is a Series 1 with single climate control, I did not think about dual climate control cars, My son VE SSV has dual climate control but he's is a Series 2 with a screen, & the DigOptions was only made for Series 1, anyway I still love my unit & it still going great

Got to thank Stooge for the info, have change all the LEDs to red (0603) & painted the unit & trim Satin Black, it looks much better

Mycar 01.jpg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  20. gazac

gazac Member

Members Ride:
    VE SV6