Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ordered new 8" 2DIN Sat Nav Stereo for my VE Series I

mantaray56

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 Z
Holden has really done a dis-service to VE series 2 owners by making it near impossible to change head units, pity they didn't sell a few more to the yanks, they seem to be able to get aftermarket stuff working, like they did in the Series 1

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
If this facia was sold so we could fit a double din head unit in, they would have a winner. We could have apple or android friendly head units.
Get the impression the head unit is integrated with the facia. These have been around a while in the US I believe?

I think they have, but when they first come out (On any of these android devices), there were a couple little bugs that needed fixing/changing. Such as single or dual zone vehicles ect.

Although I finally found the units do not originate from the USA.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Holden has really done a dis-service to VE series 2 owners by making it near impossible to change head units, pity they didn't sell a few more to the yanks, they seem to be able to get aftermarket stuff working, like they did in the Series 1

Not really. It is a straight forward job to retro fit the series 1 set up into any S2. There are a lot of cheap series 1 parts around.
I found the crate at the back that holds the S2 unit is identical to the series 1. All you need are trim parts. The surround, the vents at the top and the surrounding panel, the trim spears that fit across the front of the dash left and right.

mantaray56

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 Z
Except the Air Conditioner/heating settings appear on the Series 2 screen which is controlled by the can bus, so it is a little bit more than changing parts.Could be some hope, but it needs someone smarter than me.
Had a look at the youtube video; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkYQL2UOsec , and the Unit seems to have all the climate air/heating on the screen, maybe it would work in series 2 with climate, time will tell, just a bit expensive to buy one and see if it works ..lol

Last edited:

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Except the Air Conditioner/heating settings appear on the Series 2 screen which is controlled by the can bus, so it is a little bit more than changing parts.Could be some hope, but it needs someone smarter than me.
Had a look at the youtube video; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkYQL2UOsec , and the Unit seems to have all the climate air/heating on the screen, maybe it would work in series 2 with climate, time will tell, just a bit expensive to buy one and see if it works ..lol

From talking with the dev, the device comes in both single and dual zone styles. From what I understood the dual zone style can select single zone in the menus too.

That video doesnt quite do it much justice. The guy had his phone tethered (internet) to the android unit which was slowing it down a bit as it was trying to download and perform updates. :)

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
ok for the new dig options one it does have upgraded ram cpu-z reports its got a quadcore 1.61ghz cpu and 1024mb of ram.

finished installing mine today, everything is ok but it seems my ac controls are not working properly.
waiting on matt to reply with info on how to get them working.
and it only has green button backlights so I am going to pull it apart and change mine to red leds to suit the rest of my dash.

here is a pic, will post an install guide soon.
xfu44w.jpg

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
early omegas, berlinas had green, the sv6 ss etc had red and in the series 2 they changed to white.

I pulled the face panel apart today and it has both green and red leds for the buttons just like my Colorado dig options unit.
it is probably a software error not changing them to red when you go into the settings and change the color option

cewing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SWAGON
early omegas, berlinas had green, the sv6 ss etc had red and in the series 2 they changed to white.

I pulled the face panel apart today and it has both green and red leds for the buttons just like my Colorado dig options unit.
it is probably a software error not changing them to red when you go into the settings and change the color option

My bad, I guess as long as the single A/C units have green and the dual A/C units have red or white all is good :)
Watching with interest

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute

So it is an option in the settings?