Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Orssom OTR intake opinion?

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Just to give you some information...

I bought a second hand Orssom intake, and I fitted it up without a tune. (I am planning on getting a tune, I have just finished upgrading the exhaust, and will do so soon)....

The car didnt throw up any fault codes, however the car was very un-drivable....

The more I drove the vehicle, the worse the idle got, throttle response was all over the shop, and I ended up removing the OTR after 2 days.

It took a week of driving for the ECU to return back to normal.

The main problem was idle. Most of the time, idle would be around 1500 to 2000 RPM.
On a V8 in Sydney peak hour traffic, that meant I drove around 15Kms to work pressing the accelerator pedal a total of two or three times.....

Basically I was friving the car on the brake...

So the short answer is, yes, you are going to need a tune. It wont throw codes, but it wont be drivable either...

Hope this helps...

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
The guy that tuned mine WITH the MAF said they will flow more than enough for a stock engine. He said that you can get a sweeter tune with the MAF in place. He tuned mine from 270rwhp to 330rwhp with the MAF in place. I put a pod type CAI on mine, could feel the difference straight away, no dramas with the idle or fuel economy. It makes more than enough induction noise when you mash the go pedal.

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
Interesting.. I was told by a mate who works for Holden that tech 2 can detect weather the ecu has been played with or not.. If that's right I don't know I'm assuming it would be because wouldn't everyone be mafless tuning? How much is a mafless tune worth? What's involved? Any new computers or what? Can I tune whilst keeping the maf if I wanted to? I couldn't care less about the maf I'm just worries that if I spun a bearing or dropped a piston out the side etc.. Something really bad Holden could turn around and say well if you didn't play around with it and pump more power out of it this wouldn't of happened.. Then I'm stuck with a repair bill to rebuild an engine.. AS AN EXAMPLE of course..

as i said, you can get a tune with the MAF in place, and it works well. Holden will know if you have had it retuned, and they can very easily overwrite the tune if they decided to "update" the engine management ( this was told to me by the guys who now do my servicing because Holden charge too friggin much)
As for spinning a bearing, i can't see it happening unless you are going to open your rev limiter out to 8,000rpm.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
I was told evey time ou drive your car with the MAF unpluged (removed for MAFless tune) the computer logs the data and Holden will know, even if you put the stock tune back on it. The computer will log it was driven for say 40,000km's with no MAF.

just what I heard I could be wrong

Mitch-VE6LTR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS series 2
As for idle problems etc a friend of a friend has a GTS with no tune and his is fine.. I now n
Have it on the car are the throttle response and power has increased for sure!!