Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

OTR and custom tune

F1Aussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 COMMODORE
Hi guys, I used to be a revhead in another life. For the past 15 years just been running bog stock v6 commodores.
I currently have a VE SV6 that is an everyday driver and without going silly am just after a little more poke and throttle response.
I have booked in for an OTRCAI and a custom tune.

It sounds like the gains I can expect are pretty much what I am after.

One thing the tuner asked me is what RON I run it on. Being a daily driver I have always put the cheapest in it, being U91. He said tuning and running it on U98 will get the best gains, obviously. Not sure if I am comfortable with paying an extra 20 cents a litre or not over the U91. I am not afterall after the most I can get out of it powerwise if the extra fuel cost burns a hole in my wallet, not sure.
I thought maybe U95 would be a good middle ground compromise.
Having only ever filled it with U91 have not looked at others, is U95 as widely available as 91 and 98?

Anyway, I am very undecided about which RON to get it tuned for and then run the car on.

Looking for advice from those more knowledgeable about these things.
Cheers

Last edited:

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
I would just go for 98 if you can afford to fill it up all the time on that. It will likely be more fuel efficient after the tune than it is currently but then there is the flip side of you wanting to give it a bit more stick with the new found grunt.

F1Aussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 COMMODORE
I would just go for 98 if you can afford to fill it up all the time on that. It will likely be more fuel efficient after the tune than it is currently but then there is the flip side of you wanting to give it a bit more stick with the new found grunt.
Yeah, a catch 22 situation. If it is tuned on 98 could I run it on 95 without any problems like pinging or running rough? My uneducated assumption would be that tuned on 98 but running on 95 would just incur a little drop in grunt and possibly a little more consumption?

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
If it is tuned on 98 you need to run it on 98, I wouldn’t chance it but have been told it’s fine for everyday putting around but don’t get into it with the lesser octane.
Plus it’s only about 6-8c more from 95 to 98 so at worst for a 60L fill it’s about $5 more per tank. SFA.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Check the servo's around where you live and fill up.
95 is usually 'more available' than 98.

F1Aussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 COMMODORE
If it is tuned on 98 you need to run it on 98, I wouldn’t chance it but have been told it’s fine for everyday putting around but don’t get into it with the lesser octane.
Plus it’s only about 6-8c more from 95 to 98 so at worst for a 60L fill it’s about $5 more per tank. SFA.
Okay, so would it run properly the other way, tuned on 95 and run on 98? Just trying to weigh up what I can do and can't do.

Last edited:

F1Aussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 COMMODORE
Check the servo's around where you live and fill up.
95 is usually 'more available' than 98.
Had a look on petrol spy today, looks like there is a few more 98s than 95s but certainly no issues finding a 95.

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
Will run fine on 98 if the tune is done for 95.