Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

OTR and Mafless illegal?!

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
reply to the topic, Yes life as a car enthusiast in this era, sucks!

Depends on what floats your boat. Play with older stuff that had less stringent ADR's and you can have a ball :)

Thessman... Our modern day cars are already @ the limit of the law/standards already and when the manufacturer tests their vehicles they are under absolute clinical conditions.

Just an example is ... that if the tyres(And this HAS been proven in independent scientific tests...) are 10psi less... it will change the amount fuel it uses and so exceed the emissions standards ===> ILLEGAL.

Last I checked, there was no law or ADR that mandated fuel usage. Emission regs are more about the composition of exhaust gases etc and are limited by parts per million (or similar).

nathanVS... ALL tunes are illegal even stock ones that have not been modified by anyone

Put it this way people, our modern ECU/CPU/EMS are learning computers so lets say if a 02 sensor if not working properly it will change the tune to accommodate for the not work 02... and so will make the vehicle, if tested, illegal as it WILL fail the emissions test.

Eh??? If your 02 sensor has failed then the car may not pass an emissions test and will be required to be repaired. That doesn't mean your stock tune is illegal what so ever.

Reaper

COL3SY

COL3SY
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
my maf sensor is still in the same place?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Meh, if any mods are illegal then my car is already illegal. 18s and a vy shifter. I also thought there was a decibel limit on after market exhaust, rims can be 1" larger and wider and car can be lowered a certain amount of mm. I'm from Victoria and that's just what the Victorian police and Vic roads have told me...

Lol - betchya they didn't. Checkout http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/CC48FC10-4D57-4F04-82E1-3BD72EF88340/0/VSI8.pdf and more generally Vehicle standards information : VicRoads

Reaper

COL3SY

COL3SY
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
its 2inch bigger than standard not 1 isnt it ?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Put it this way people, our modern ECU/CPU/EMS are learning computers so lets say if a 02 sensor if not working properly it will change the tune to accommodate for the not work 02... and so will make the vehicle, if tested, illegal as it WILL fail the emissions test.

The PCM is not learning, it is compensating. It doesn't learn anything, it is already loaded with the maps it needs, it just trims certain areas under different driving conditions.

Vehicle manufacturers test and tune cars close to the threshold because it is cheaper. Why spend time and money to exceed a standard by too much when all you have to do is MEET the standard.

Thessman

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Ss s2
Na they changed the law apparently to 1". Found that out the hard way...I asked a policeman, licensed RWC tester and called Vic roads about a canary I had on a VP commodore that was too loud and both said it can't exceed a certain decibel limit. Not to mention an exhaust I did hear that was just 'legal' was still quieter than the new HSVs. So I don't think the Vic police or vic roads really know what the laws are. I've also heard countless stories of P platers being booked (once when I was with him) because his gas converter was supposedly a turbo. He won in court tho.

Does no one have advice on cams and head work?