Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Alloytec] OTR CAI w/MAF, Idle and Surging Issues, 2004 VZ SV6 AUTO

Discussion in 'V6 Development And Modification' started by dlucre, May 26, 2009.

1. dlucre

dlucre New Member

Members Ride:
    1992 VP Executive 4sp Auto 5L V8
    Hi Guys,

I purchased and installed this OTR CAI.

When pushing the engine using this OTR CAI I have very noticeable gains in performance and torque, as well as an awesome sounding induction roar! I really love it!

However, The issue I have with it is that when the engine is cold the revs bob up and down making it difficult to drive out of the driveway, etc. Once it's warm, idle is fine at 800rpm. But, under normal driving conditions between 1800-2000 rpm it surges a little bit too. Revs seem to be unstable and it makes for a pretty rough gear change if it changes around there too.

My question is, have I done something wrong? I know the MAF is VERY SLIGHTLY misaligned. Only by a few degrees, but it's not perfectly straight. Would that possibly be causing the issues I am having?

Or, do you think the engine needs a tune (I am thinking through Castle Hill Exhaust) to correct this and make better use of the cold air coming in?

If I am going to pay the $900 for CHE to do the tune, I am going to combine it with Extractors and Exhaust too. But, just means it will be a while before I can afford to do that.

Looking forward to hearing what you guys think.

(Photos are NOT of my install. They're from the auction.)

Attached Files:

2. delcowizzid

delcowizzid on holiday

Members Ride:
    в∞ѕтεכ √&
    probably from the maf being to close to the throttlebody i dont see any room for a maf in them pics post pics of your install so we can see it

3. monaro327

monaro327 New Member

Members Ride:
    VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
    your car will never run right with the otr. you've got even more problems then my otr ve sv6.

the maf can't handle being that close to the throttle body.

your setup means that the maf no longer has the mesh screens in front of it to help it read the incoming air.

the pcv system is connected in a way that in draws air into the motor that the maf doesn't read.

the pcv system would be spraying a nice oil film over the maf.

i did back to back testing of an otr on my ve sv6 they lose about 5rwkws with the otr maf doesn't like being that close to the throttle body.

have a nice day.

4. Fishman88

Fishman88 New Member

Members Ride:
    vz calais 190KW A5 CHE TUNED
    Get A Mace Engineering Cold Air intake or even a Walkinshaw cold air intake. The Alloytecs cant do the OTR atm. From wat ive researched!

5. chp

chp New Member

Members Ride:
    Cts
    I have a cadillac cts with a vvt 3.6L which is essentially an alloytec. I ported my maf and did some tuning with hptuners. I had a problem with surging at idle (I didn't even drive the car), and I was able to resolve the surging with the tuning. So, I think your tuner should be able to handle your issue.

6. ltz jeddah

ltz jeddah New Member

Members Ride:
    lumina
    this intake need maffless tune or regular tune???
    thanks man

7. monaro327

monaro327 New Member

Members Ride:
    VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
    no mafless tune for alloytecs mate unless your willing to fork out for a motec.

8. ltz jeddah

ltz jeddah New Member

Members Ride:
    lumina
    :yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah: