Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

OTR Cold Air Intake for VF SS - Who's Had Any Issues ?

SneekyNuts

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS
I went to OZTRACK in Penrith today i'd researched what Intake i wanted and decided on the Orssom version. I had enough loot to buy the induction System (MAF) but not for the tune as ive read you can plug and play with these ones. mafless needs tuning. So i went there and the Sales Lady said that they can risk going into Limp Mode if you dont get it tuned. She was great she stated i could just sell this to you and off you go but we dont operate like this etc which i found to be great and very honest. she stated that they will "All" eventually go into limp mode without the tune. could be tomorrow - next week or in 12 months. ill save more loot and head back there. Has any one else gone Limp ( im talking about the car not your erectile dysfunction ). or have you been Lucky

Attachments

• 12647106_10153371184632544_731519765078146952_n.jpg
    12647106_10153371184632544_731519765078146952_n.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 452

Steveaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS
Don't waste your money on a cold air intake unless you're going to tune it. And for the love of god avoid Oztrack (Yes I'm aware there have been good tunes etc come out of there), but there has also been a lot of #### ups and problems.

geoffb57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SS
I'd listen to OZtrack . They did my intake, tune and catback a couple of weeks ago. Good price,great people and very happy with their work

2INIL8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH COMMODORE 308
Got a question does he still tune cars without a wideband meter on road? (not dyno).

VFRDLN

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB CalaisV Tourer
Load of crap. I have a Harrop OTR with MAF and it is great. If a code was going to come up it would happen on the first drive. The car is smart enough to adjust to the OTR. If you are going to replace a full exhaust or put a cam in then a tune is a must to get the most power you can.

2INIL8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH COMMODORE 308
Don't give out false info. the car does not compensate for an otr.
It can trim to an extent that's it, the fueling is altered via maf tables or virtual ve tables.
Any idea what your afr's are like?
Mine went lean too lean with the vcm otr.
You need a tune otherwise it will throw code and it will throw afr's out maf is even worse.

SneekyNuts

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS
Thanks guys ive never really been a "CAR" guy ive had many VL's a VY and a Lexus SC400 but My VF SS ive fallen in love. my wife hates it which makes me love it more lol.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
either maf or mafless really does need a tune to suit, just because a maf is kept dosnt mean it still knows what air is flowing into the engine for a desired situation and in a factory tune the maf is only solely used after about 4000rpm so under that where most of the driving is done u have a blend of maf and map so if the map reading is out because of the intake then it is still going to be incorrect so the fuel trims will be working to correct it, have a tune done corrects the AFR so the less the trims have to work the better the engine will run, not getting a tune wont hurt the engine it just wont be as efficient as if it were tuned to suit, fuel trims only correct a zone of map readings so the average of the STFT changes the LTFT zone to what it will correct too but in that zone u might have 50+ different fuel cells so even if some need less fuel and some need more they all get the same correction for the zone and thats where a tune can be cleaned up so it all works better

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Orssom Website:

CAI Pty Ltd – VE-VF Commodore CAI & Accessories

Fitting Instructions:

http://otrcai.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/VF-V8-Fitting-Inst.jpg

Contact Orssom and ask them if a tune is needed – get the correct info from the horse's mouth:

Contact Us – CAI Pty Ltd

A list of tuners selling the Orssom product:

Where to Buy – CAI Pty Ltd

If it was me and you decide to have the car tuned as well as fitting the OTR then I'd definitely be going to a tuner that has a dyno, don't make your choice just based on someone being the cheapest, make a choice because you feel confidence in their reputation, there are some good ones in that list.

2INIL8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH COMMODORE 308
either maf or mafless really does need a tune to suit, just because a maf is kept dosnt mean it still knows what air is flowing into the engine for a desired situation and in a factory tune the maf is only solely used after about 4000rpm so under that where most of the driving is done u have a blend of maf and map so if the map reading is out because of the intake then it is still going to be incorrect so the fuel trims will be working to correct it, have a tune done corrects the AFR so the less the trims have to work the better the engine will run, not getting a tune wont hurt the engine it just wont be as efficient as if it were tuned to suit, fuel trims only correct a zone of map readings so the average of the STFT changes the LTFT zone to what it will correct too but in that zone u might have 50+ different fuel cells so even if some need less fuel and some need more they all get the same correction for the zone and thats where a tune can be cleaned up so it all works better
To give an idea my afrs were low 13s wot(not good -very very lean) stock map and had a bad hesitation around 1800-2000rpm.
Its not only the ve tables its ,a lot of others incl pe and dynamics and quite a few engine management tables.
Even cold start was too lean which I fixed.
Weather change its good the tune copes very well in the hotter weather eg 38 deg and above.
Some tuners pref maf you can do both, personally I prefer sd as its more responsive and fueling is very accurate.
I tuned my VF S1 in sd (mafless) and it drives really well and it will light up 2nd gear wot (auto) and didn't before (stock tune and maf).
Will put it on the mainline dyno soon and run it down at wsid.
Oztrack isn't the only one tuning VF commodores in Penrith so there are other options for those in the area.
https://www.facebook.com/CommodoreV8V6DelcoTuning/?ref=bookmarks