Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

OTR Cold Air Intake for VF SS - Who's Had Any Issues ?

2INIL8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH COMMODORE 308
Orssom Website:

CAI Pty Ltd – VE-VF Commodore CAI & Accessories

Fitting Instructions:

http://otrcai.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/VF-V8-Fitting-Inst.jpg

Contact Orssom and ask them if a tune is needed – get the correct info from the horse's mouth:

Contact Us – CAI Pty Ltd

A list of tuners selling the Orssom product:

Where to Buy – CAI Pty Ltd

If it was me and you decide to have the car tuned as well as fitting the OTR then I'd definitely be going to a tuner that has a dyno, don't make your choice just based on someone being the cheapest, make a choice because you feel confidence in their reputation, there are some good ones in that list.

You need both dyno and road imo.
I find you cant tune to some conditions you can on the road.
Nothing wrong with road tuning its actually more realistic as its not controlled conditions
that you have on the dyno.
You have airflow,different temps,varying loads etc.
I dyno tuned a car recently and I spent a couple hours also road tuning
made a big difference in driveability.
Dyno is great for chasing max hp safely but too long they get heat soak bad.

2INIL8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH COMMODORE 308
Thanks guys ive never really been a "CAR" guy ive had many VL's a VY and a Lexus SC400 but My VF SS ive fallen in love. my wife hates it which makes me love it more lol.
That's funny I got the opposite issues I fight with my wife over the car we both love driving it which can be a problem lol.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Load of crap. I have a Harrop OTR with MAF and it is great. If a code was going to come up it would happen on the first drive. The car is smart enough to adjust to the OTR. If you are going to replace a full exhaust or put a cam in then a tune is a must to get the most power you can.

Wrong. It WILL cause an error eventually. The ecm compensates as best it can using the short and long term fuel trims, eventually it gets to the edge of adjustability and will set a DTC (usually P0171/P0174 bank1/2 too lean). How long it will take depends on driving style and exhaust mods, but it will happen eventually.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
yea ive been tuning mine SD purely on the road with a constant wideband installed, there are alot of areas that are hard to get to without a dyno but it is possible just takes longer and u do find alot of the little drivability issues that u can clean up easily on the road that u might not notice on a dyno only tune so best of both worlds is needed as mentioned, also recommend SD tunes way better fueling control if done properly

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
You need both dyno and road imo.
I find you cant tune to some conditions you can on the road.
Nothing wrong with road tuning its actually more realistic as its not controlled conditions
that you have on the dyno.
You have airflow,different temps,varying loads etc.
I dyno tuned a car recently and I spent a couple hours also road tuning
made a big difference in driveability.
Dyno is great for chasing max hp safely but too long they get heat soak bad.

Correctomundo, you definitely need both as it gives the tuner far more stats to work with and helps immensely in getting the tune right for your vehicle.

SneekyNuts

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS
To give an idea my afrs were low 13s wot(not good -very very lean) stock map and had a bad hesitation around 1800-2000rpm.
Its not only the ve tables its ,a lot of others incl pe and dynamics and quite a few engine management tables.
Even cold start was too lean which I fixed.
Weather change its good the tune copes very well in the hotter weather eg 38 deg and above.
Some tuners pref maf you can do both, personally I prefer sd as its more responsive and fueling is very accurate.
I tuned my VF S1 in sd (mafless) and it drives really well and it will light up 2nd gear wot (auto) and didn't before (stock tune and maf).
Will put it on the mainline dyno soon and run it down at wsid.
Oztrack isn't the only one tuning VF commodores in Penrith so there are other options for those in the area.
https://www.facebook.com/CommodoreV8V6DelcoTuning/?ref=bookmarks

Thanks mate the chick there did say he usually can tune it by ear without the Dyno which raised an alarm a little

SneekyNuts

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS
That's funny I got the opposite issues I fight with my wife over the car we both love driving it which can be a problem lol.

Im glad she doesn't want to drive it i just put Black 20's on it and if theres any gutter rash being done id prefer it be me lol

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
Thanks mate the chick there did say he usually can tune it by ear without the Dyno which raised an alarm a little

I was told the same. Apparently they've done thousands of these and don't need to put them on the dyno (their words)

2INIL8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH COMMODORE 308
Tune by ear lol that's a worry.
The fact your speaking to someone who has no idea is enough imo.
That's one thing I'm trying to find out is he still tuning cars on road without a wideband?
If he isnt how the hell can you log afr's accurately?
I'd be worried if it were my car
I know he didn't use a wideband street tuning years ago.