Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

"OTR" Has anyone tried this?

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
That kit uninstalled looks like the filter is just pressed in! Installed, it actually looks quite large, it would certainly sit lower in front of the radiator than a VCM or similar. But as mentioned above, it appears there'd be a higher chance of water ingress. Better options out there if you need an otr intake.

Just Damo

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 Omega, EA Fairmont (Restoration)
That kit uninstalled looks like the filter is just pressed in! Installed, it actually looks quite large, it would certainly sit lower in front of the radiator than a VCM or similar. But as mentioned above, it appears there'd be a higher chance of water ingress. Better options out there if you need an otr intake.
I probably won't bother unless I get some free cash, was more just curious on people opinions and whether or not someone has used one. If I didn't need a tune after an OTR I would go for it. but for now with my straight through intake tubing and the throttle controller, I'm pretty content with how it goes.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
VCM currently have 15% off theirs including the infill panels. They're claiming it doesn't need tuning, but is highly recommended.

Just Damo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VCM currently have 15% off theirs including the infill panels. They're claiming it doesn't need tuning, but is highly recommended.
Oh true, might have to see what my mechanic can do a OTR and tune for as they use all the VCM gear

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
That design looks a little odd and also seems to take some surface area away from the radiator, doesn’t seem to have much give to cater for engine movement and may swallow water…

So if you live in a hot climate and often tow stuff, you may get slightly cooler air into the engine (debateable) but you’d risk overheating the engine through lost radiator cooling capacity.

Easy way to test the issue is to place a piece of cardboard (20% smaller than the air filter) in front of the radiator and go for a fang on a hot day and not the coolant temp (via engineering mode). Then repeat the same drive without the cardboard in place :p If there is a noticeable difference in temps, then theradiator cooling capacity will be compromised by this CAI design…;)

Just Damo

Reaction score
Members Ride
That design looks a little odd and also seems to take some surface area away from the radiator, doesn’t seem to have much give to cater for engine movement and may swallow water…

So if you live in a hot climate and often tow stuff, you may get slightly cooler air into the engine (debateable) but you’d risk overheating the engine through lost radiator cooling capacity.

Easy way to test the issue is to place a piece of cardboard (20% smaller than the air filter) in front of the radiator and go for a fang on a hot day and not the coolant temp (via engineering mode). Then repeat the same drive without the cardboard in place :p If there is a noticeable difference in temps, then theradiator cooling capacity will be compromised by this CAI design…;)
If someone gives me one or I find one for $10 on gumtree I will share the results hahaha

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
If someone gives me one or I find one for $10 on gumtree I will share the results hahaha
I can send you a piece of cardboard… whats your address :p:p:p

(it’s a joke and don’t post addresses, phone numbers, emails, etc on forums if you want some privacy from spammers)

Just Damo

Reaction score
Members Ride
I can send you a piece of cardboard… whats your address :p:p:p

(it’s a joke and don’t post addresses, phone numbers, emails, etc on forums if you want some privacy from spammers)
Dam that gave me a good laugh hahaha I feel with some ingenuity and dodgy work I could make my own OTR like that hahah