Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

OTR + Tune?

ozi_musl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS M6
I just need ur opinion on this guys, just had my otr + mafless tune done i thought its all good 'coz the numbers 252rwkw and 623nm of torque. :( well im not that impressed to be honest, when i drive it it just feels like its missing something ( or maybe i was just expecting to much) :D.
Firstly, I can't feel any difference in induction noise ( as what other ppl were quoting )
Secondly, The only difference that i can notice is in sound it just feels bit deeper, and no improvement in throttle response ( if there is some, i can't notice it :( ) and then again it might be me expecting to much.
Just to mention it, it is my first V8 so i can't speak from previous experience.

So , I would like to hear from u guys to see what you think, as what should i do. go back to original tuner or try different one, any suggestions?! Thanks.

Not to forget to mention it my fuel consumption still sits at 15.8 L same as before the tune.

Homer's HSV

Homer Simpson
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE E3 Clubsport
I have a VCM OTR and cant really say the induction noise is what i expected i did have an airhammer CAI and that did have a very nice induction noise but in saying that iam happy with the OTR at least get air from the front and re tune and fuel i was getting about 16l/100 as well but now i get ave 12-13 and thats driving a bit assholish here and there i had a similar issue with my fuel consumption but thats because after i got a tune cai and exhaust done i was tending 2 give the car a bit more than i used 2 but when i settled down was getting good economy
BTW mines an auto and AFM has been disabled

scouser king

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SS
ozi
Do you have headers and exhaust to match the OTR and mafless tune?Oh and where in Perth did you get your work done?as iam the the Rockingham area.

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
Ozi, those power and torque figures should be making for a great driving experience. All you comment on above is sound and induction noise. I reckon your expectations may have been too high. Like you said, this is your first V8 so it's hard for you to compare it to anything. If you've been testing out your induction noise, that'll help account for your high fuel consumption. How many k's have you done since the tune?

Kikki

WA Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.christielynphotography.com
Members Ride
08 VE SSV Sportswagon & 03 VY S Pac
I may be fairly uneducated when it comes to tunes but I still don't understand why people go mafless? Unless your planning on dragging.... We got the SSV tuned to 98, VCM OTR, Extractors and got 344.5hp.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
The maf is restrictive so that's why. Although there are some tuners getting good results whilst retaining the maf.

ozi_musl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS M6
ozi
Do you have headers and exhaust to match the OTR and mafless tune?Oh and where in Perth did you get your work done?as iam the the Rockingham area.

yes, i do. it's 1 3/4" extractors with hi-flow cats and dual 3" (x-force) done by House of Power, and now mafless duspeed otr done by MCE Motorsport (Mainline Dyno)

ozi_musl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS M6
thanks for ur input guys, im getting LH engine mount replaced today (it's cracked, so i'm not sure if that would effect dyno figures and driving experience) but i might take it down to motorplex 2nite and see how it goes in a real world :).

Also, any suggestions on what spark plugs to use 'coz i've just clocked 50k with it and still on original spark plugs.
My tuner complained about pinging down low a bit and he thought it might be a fuel, but i always use 98 octane so i might need to replace plugs and filter.
I'll see if i know how to, to post dyno sheet.

ozi_musl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS M6
Ozi, those power and torque figures should be making for a great driving experience. All you comment on above is sound and induction noise. I reckon your expectations may have been too high. Like you said, this is your first V8 so it's hard for you to compare it to anything. If you've been testing out your induction noise, that'll help account for your high fuel consumption. How many k's have you done since the tune?

I know man thats why i was a bit disappointed :)............, not many im just on my second fuel tank now.

Vt_vic

Reaction score
Members Ride
carless for now
man its a mainline dyno they make less power than a dyno dynamics which the majority of the tuners if you put it on a dd dyno its probably like 270rwkw or something and ive never heard any induction noise from an otr