Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

a

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
So first up, E10 is not E94 (that would make it 94% ethanol, like E85 is 85% ethanol), you're thinking of 94 RON that E10 provides. Second of all, you will likely pay around 1k in tuning (more with the OTR) which will take years to recoup just using E10. Third of all, you might not be able to use 91 anymore. Seems super pointless to me, and TBH you'd likely get the same efficiency out of a 98 tune.

There are also variables that come into play between each tuner and how they will tune given your parameters, which means you could be using more fuel than you did before or even the same amount.

You wanna save money, then buy another car that doesn't have a 6 litre engine. If it meant it ran 'a lot cheaper' then everybody including manufacturers would be doing this.

Last edited:

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Anything with ethanol even tuned will still require more fuel compared to straight petrol. Ethanol runs leaner and requires a higher air/fuel ratio. So essentially you will be dumping in more fuel and costing you much the same as 91. Higher octane fuel will give slightly better economy but then the fuel is more expensive.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
What sort of money do places charge just to do the tuning given that I buy and install the OTR myself?

Excuse my ignorance, but am I wrong in assuming once its tuned for 98, you simply can't put 91/94 in it anymore?

I understand that it will probably go faster with the OTR but from I understand, its going to run more efficient overall so it will be faster but use about the same amount of fuel before the OTR therefore running more efficient?

Like I said about 1k. There are places that start at $700 but for anywhere reputable you will be looking at something like 1k. As for tuning for 98, realistically you don't use the other fuels. You can probably use 95 in a pinch, but you shouldn't be driving hard if you have to. It will be more "efficient" and more drivable (should be both of these depending on tuner) than if you just used 98 on the factory tune, but it's not going to use a noticeable amount of fuel less than it did before.

Efficiency in terms of dollars and cents is marginal. At the moment the difference between E10 and 91 is like 4c. For all intensive purposes lets pretend it's 10c to cover our bases and that you will use the same amount of E10 fuel to travel the same distance as 91 after tuning. 10c on a 73 litre tank means you will save $7.30 per fill at lets say, once per week, which will net $380 per year. That means it will take you 3 years before you start saving money against a 1k investment in tuning, and that's if you drive like a grandma all the time. You have a fun week or something then it kinda doesn't work out. At 4c like it is now it's more like 6 or 7 years, and that's an ideal situation too, it won't work that way real world.

The OTR doesn't change a whole lot of things in this equation. Won't be a whole lot faster, won't add a heap of power. Will make the car run ever so slightly more efficient because of the cooler air and maybe better throttle response because of the less convoluted path of airflow.

If you're going to get it tuned, get all the parts you want to use beforehand (exhaust would be a good investment) and then get it done.

Last edited:

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
you can tune for any fuel, i have heard people have tuned for 91 unleaded and have just exhaust mods with some good gains and economy etc, others have tuned for 91 with otr, exhaust etc and had good results, mine is on 98 with tune and mods, i have been in the situation where no 98/premium been available and was advised at the time of tuning etc that if this happens dont high rev or load up the engine eg 2500rpm gearchange etc just take it very easy till i can get 98 in it.