Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Out of town… what to do with the car?

NHS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina
Hey everyone,

I did a brief search and couldn’t find anything so I apologise if this has already been covered.

Well im gonna be overseas for about 2 months and sadly the Vr can’t tag along. Im just wondering what will be the best option for the car.

Disconnect the batteries and leave it,
Have friends/relatives start the engine every week (more or less) for a few minutes
Or something else? I rather not have anyone drive my car (don’t trust them enough ;) )

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
Just make sure the tires get rotated and the engine gets run for a bit....no biggie.

aZk.

I

Insanesinner

You can park it in my shed i wont drive it i promise truely i wont ....well not that much any way maybe just on firday nights....and saterday maybe if i got lucky on friday night :D

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Propane said:
Hey everyone,

I did a brief search and couldn’t find anything so I apologise if this has already been covered.

Well im gonna be overseas for about 2 months and sadly the Vr can’t tag along. Im just wondering what will be the best option for the car.

Disconnect the batteries and leave it,
Have friends/relatives start the engine every week (more or less) for a few minutes
Or something else? I rather not have anyone drive my car (don’t trust them enough ;) )

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance
Give it to your grandma (or someone you know who's sensible) and tell em to drive it around the block every now and then..

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Just take it to a storage centre, 2 months on tyres out of the weather wont affect anything, unhook the battery, drain the fuel tank and presto. My SV5000(wel my fathers and mine has sat in storage the past 5-6 years, is rarely started nothing going wrong with it)

TI0350

Reaction score
Website
www.kts350.com.au
Members Ride
White S2 LX Captiva Diesel
When i went to the states for a month I got a mate to come round 2 tiwce a week and drive my VS around the block a few times

NHS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina
thanks for your replies everyone.

Asked around and no one is willing to take my car in and out of the garage on a weekly basis because the car is big and the access to the garage is very narrow (it’s sometimes a 2 man job to get it in and out lol).

minux mentioned that i should drain the petrol before i leave it. Is there a specific reason for that? Maybe im having a “stupid” moment but it shouldn’t be a problem if I leave 10 or so litres in the tank should it?

Thanks again :)

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Propane said:
thanks for your replies everyone.

Asked around and no one is willing to take my car in and out of the garage on a weekly basis because the car is big and the access to the garage is very narrow (it’s sometimes a 2 man job to get it in and out lol).

minux mentioned that i should drain the petrol before i leave it. Is there a specific reason for that? Maybe im having a “stupid” moment but it shouldn’t be a problem if I leave 10 or so litres in the tank should it?

Thanks again :)

We drained ours simply so the fuel wouldnt go stale, nothing worse then trying to run a car on stale fuel

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Don't know what everyone is carrying on about.

My car used to sit for 4-6 months on end without being driven when my parents owned it. This was over a period of 9 years. Just disconnected the battery, thats all. Everything was fine when I started it back up. I remember reading somewhere that fuel takes about 6 months to go stale.

My mates old mid 70's Statesman once sat in the garage for 10 months without being started. In went a new battery and she fired up no problems.

So just disconnect your battery and leave it, thats all you need to do.