Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Outer brake pad wearing more than inside

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Something weird going on the ute. A while back I overhauled the front brakes, rebuilt the calipers, new pads and new rotors. I also greased the slides really well. When I did the job the outside pad on the left was more worn than any other. I checked the pads tonight as I know they are getting down and the same pad has 2-3mm less material than the other one on the same caliper. The drivers side is fine. I need to fit new pads in a month or two but would like to sort this issue out at the same time. Should I be buying a slide kit and fit that with the new rotors and pads. If I didn't have this pad so worn I actually would have six months or more left in the brakes, and not two.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Why do you need new rotors again?
New slide pins sound like a good idea

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Only replacing rotors as I fitted a pair of Bosch :(:(:(. I have a set of RDA hardened, slotted-dimpled to go on that I picked up at a really good price.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I rebuilt the calipers and I would have thought the piston should be freely moving?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I rebuilt the calipers and I would have thought the piston should be freely moving?

Try replacing the slide pins, one of the current pins might have a slight bend in it.

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Have the bosch rotors worn down in just one set of pads? You might as well throw the fancy ones in now anyway.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah the rotors already has a slight lip. They would be ok for another set but I have better ones that will last so not gonna mess with the Bosch. Just waiting to order pads when eBay next have a 10% off code that works on car parts.

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
The deal must be had! Car parts are not as much fun when you have to pay full price!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Pulled the caliper to inspect the mount to see if it had any grooving like I have seen before that can cause the pads to stick and nup. I also felt the slide pins and both were moving freely. I ended up swapping the pads around. This will give me a fair few more weeks of pad life than it would had I left them. I will definitely replace the slide pins but failing that it might be something I have to put up with.