Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Over filled oil at service

Tripxit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline Wagon
Just had my cars 60k serviced and just checked the oil level and it looks to me overfilled?

Invoice states 8 points(I'm guess this is liters?) of oil used which is what got me checking.

Also these standard dipsticks are hard to read is there any others on the market that are better?

Attachments

• thumbnail_20190112_091313.jpg
    thumbnail_20190112_091313.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 331
  • thumbnail_20190112_091510.jpg
    thumbnail_20190112_091510.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 324

lordsnipe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV
The oil level should be in between the cross hatched area which is on one side only.

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
Every time I check my oil after a service it’s always been at about the 2 (on the side with the numbers) but it looks like yours is well clear of the numbers.

I would think about dropping some oil out into a clean oil pan in case you take to much out and get it where it’s meant to be.

Also there it a thread somewhere about a cable style dipstick that you can get from the US

Tripxit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline Wagon
Every time I check my oil after a service it’s always been at about the 2 (on the side with the numbers) but it looks like yours is well clear of the numbers.

I would think about dropping some oil out into a clean oil pan in case you take to much out and get it where it’s meant to be.

Also there it a thread somewhere about a cable style dipstick that you can get from the US

Yeah going to drop some out today. Just annoying to pay $285 for basically an oil and filter change and have to do this.

Thanks, found the thread on the cable dipstick and checked with Holden this morning $51 (#12669528).

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
Is it "points" or "pints"? (1 US pint = 0.47 litres)

How close to a engine shutdown are you checking the level?

What may be correct might look overfull if left overnight so all the oil drains back into the sump?

Andrew

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
i always run engine for couple mins then stop then pull out dipstick and clean then refit for 3-5 sec then remove and check, must check when at operating temps also

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Dealers generally add extra as engines almost always burn some oil between services and most people dont bother to check their oil between services...
Drives me mad...
I always tell them not to overfill and even with that they do...

Tripxit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline Wagon
i always run engine for couple mins then stop then pull out dipstick and clean then refit for 3-5 sec then remove and check, must check when at operating temps also
Yeah this what I do. Ran it for 5mins then removed dipstick and cleaned, refit then remove again and checked the level.

Strattos

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII SS
This is why the requirement to get your oil changed at Holden to maintain warranty annoys me (I know I could get another mechanic to do it, but I've always done my own, so it just annoys me I have to either get Holden to do it or shop around).

I've had two services, aside from the 1000km complimentary check, since I bought my car and every time I get my car back I get a burnt oil smell through the climate control when stationary, which lasts for a few days.

Not sure what they do as when you lift the bonnet you can't smell a thing, there's no evidence of where the oil has leaked or been dropped on headers etc, and when I jack it up I can't see any evidence of spilt oil, but oil's being burnt somewhere.

And same as the OP, mine was way overfilled on last service - had to to drain a bit out.

If they're going to force me to pay for getting it serviced by Holden, at least do the job right.

Not knocking all Holden techs, as I'm sure there are plenty of great ones, but this is just my experience.

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
Every single time I have had a service on my previous car (L77 Calais) or my current LSA HSV it is always slightly overfilled (about 6mm)which used to bug me until I realised that the over fill while noticeable on the dipstick it was really only less than half a litre. This happened at two reputable Holden dealers in Adelaide. While I check mine hot after turning off the motor for 10 mins I never see a change in levels cold or over time and this applied to bo the cars. Unless way overfilled I don't think it will have the crank frothing the oil.