Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

over flow tank on lhs wt hell

mixed up vp

vp thats 90% vr
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp exec 5.0 ltr
hi gang on my bt1 vn theres a water over flow tank mounted on the left hand side strut tower behind the air box thinking someones put it there but no its std its got gm parts numbers on it and its piped up to the std header tank behind fuse box .the thing is what model is this from as ive played with vn to vs and never seen it before can anyone put some light on this its got me stuffed:bang:

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
Like this?

P1010071ed.jpg

If so it is a factory addition, part of the s1 update, some people refer to it as s1.5

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Yeah, stacks of VNs have those OP. Perfectly normal.

cameron20020

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 1990 V6 3.8L
what purpose do they serve?
should i put one into my vn s1 if i have one lying around?

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
They allow you to top up the reservoir without waiting for the system to depressurise before opening it.

mixed up vp

vp thats 90% vr
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp exec 5.0 ltr
thanks heaps its the same as the one in the pic it had me stuffed lol but at lest i know that its there for a reson its strange ive not come across it b4 it can stay there thanks to all replyed

aussieghostrider

Reaction score
yeah mines got that ..

watch out as they crack from age and will leak eventually but you can sometimes plastic weld to repair them .. also theres a valve inside that cap that lets water in when running low ... mine broke from putting the cap on too tight ...

those caps are a pain in the ass to put back on ... theres a rubber o ring that you have to put some grease on it so it sits in lid whilst you put cap back on ...

also you have to tighten slowly or the o ring slips and wont seal ..

PAIN in the ass !!!!

Want some good advice , call local car wreckers and ask them for the bottle .. say its overflow bottle for s1 vn ... I got one for $30 and its in good condition and had a normal cap that you can unscrew and top up coolant and put back on easy ...

who ever invented that overflow bottle and cap should be shot ...

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
Yeah I believe they designed it like that as the original series 1 setup was completely sealed = no where for the pressure to go, which was not a very good design either. The pressure cap fitted to the s1.5 'fix' acts like a radiator cap.
If i ever need a replacement radiator i'm going to switch to the s2 setup which has the radiator cap, which is quite easy to do and a much better design.