Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Over heating at idle

richrever

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs S2 V6 5,Speed Ute
Why oh why is my Ute overhearing? I've just put my Ute on the road after buying it unlicensed only to have it start blowing coolant out of the expansion tank at the drop of a hat! It keeps it's cool whilst driving(haven't gone on a long drive yet) but sit idling to long after a drive HUBBLE AND BUBBLE and there's $10 of coolant on the floor. Now I've had a Commodore longest time and I know about the blender and I know about topping up via the top hose and the opening the valve during top up and topping up useing a cool drink bottle shoved in the radiator cap And a combination of all has been played out in the last few days. I've flushed the radiator with air over water also. My next move I think is flush the block. Dam shame because this is the cleanest engine bay I've ever had ! I'm sure someone out there will be happy to tell me what I haven't or need to do. Oh it don't have a heater so no point turning that on . Come on oh wise ones tell me?
Cheers Richrever01

lovedores

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina International Wagon 2010 Series II 3.0l
Why oh why is my Ute overhearing? I've just put my Ute on the road after buying it unlicensed only to have it start blowing coolant out of the expansion tank at the drop of a hat! It keeps it's cool whilst driving(haven't gone on a long drive yet) but sit idling to long after a drive HUBBLE AND BUBBLE and there's $10 of coolant on the floor. Now I've had a Commodore longest time and I know about the blender and I know about topping up via the top hose and the opening the valve during top up and topping up useing a cool drink bottle shoved in the radiator cap And a combination of all has been played out in the last few days. I've flushed the radiator with air over water also. My next move I think is flush the block. Dam shame because this is the cleanest engine bay I've ever had ! I'm sure someone out there will be happy to tell me what I haven't or need to do. Oh it don't have a heater so no point turning that on . Come on oh wise ones tell me?
Cheers Richrever01
Hi richever,
It’s very possible one or both electric radiator fans are not working. If you’re lucky it’s just dirty electrical contacts where the fan wires plugs in.
This will cause overheating when vehicle is not moving and getting natural cooling. Open bonnet and see if they are kicking in, hope this helps.
Cheers

richrever

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs S2 V6 5,Speed Ute
Hi richever,
It’s very possible one or both electric radiator fans are not working. If you’re lucky it’s just dirty electrical contacts where the fan wires plugs in.
This will cause overheating when vehicle is not moving and getting natural cooling. Open bonnet and see if they are kicking in, hope this helps.
Cheers
Hi lovedores hahaha you gunna love this one.... fans are good what the problem was is I brought a new radiator cap. Only this cap for whatever reason was real tight on the filler neck. So when I thought it was on it was only not on properly it still had about 1/16th of a turn left in it . Hahaha bloody idiot I am . All is good now and.i can go ahead and fit my Mace 69mm throttle body and performance chip. Should compliment my newly registered V6 5speed Ute very well. Wish me and my demerits points well.
Richrever01.Cheers.