Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Over Heating Question

barbershark

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2
Hi All,

I have a 2004 VY Exec Series II, which has been a reliable car for the last few years. I recently took it up to the sunshine coast from Brisbane to Melany (about 80/90 klms), with no dramas. Temp usually sits a bit under half on the gauge (pretty standard?). Anyway on the drive up the mountain into Melany, there is a 2klm stretch that is a steep ascent. The engine was revving on between 2.5 to 3 grand for about a minute (if that) and the temp shoots almost into the red. (Right up to the 3/4 mark). Once I get to the top of the hill, after a short while the temp drops back down. The car then cruises back to Brissy sitting with the temp just under half.

I have done the trip now 4 times and the same thing happens every time. I am concerned that either there are some blockages in the radiator, or that the thermostat / water pump are on the way out. I have noticed that there seems to be more than your average amount of condensation dripping from the bottom of the car when I park it after having the aircon on, so wondering if that is the water pump?

I am a bit of novice when it comes to diy's, so just wondering if anyone out there can give me any advice as how to diagnose the problem. I'm a bit tight on cash at the moment, so was hoping to sort it myself, starting with cheapest things to check followed by the more expensive. Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanking you in advance.

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore berlina Sedan 1996
Also if you have an auto when you climb a hill that's relatively steep don't leave it in drive lock it back to 3rd or 2nd depending on the steepness if it stays in d it and is changing up and down it will heat up like crazy to check the condensation put coolant in your radiator run the air con then after you've turned it off check the color of the water if it's clear then it's condensation if it's green it's radiator

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
The vehicle should not overheat with a short run up the mountain as you described. I have done that trip without coolant temp issues.

1. Check the fluid level in the radiator and overflow reservoir when COLD.

If there is coolant loss it will show up when you check the radiator and overflow reservoir. If you are not sure whether the fluid run off is air con drainage or radiator coolant just drop a white tissue into the fluid and check it for colour. As others have said, if it's clear it is obviously just drainage water from the air con system. The coolant should be green.

2. If the radiator coolant has not been flushed out in the past 2 years then have it done now. (It must be done every 2 years). Make sure the correct spec coolant is used and ensure that air has been fully bled from the system after the coolant change. Some mechanics don't do this properly. If the air bleeding is not done properly the engine will likely overheat.
(While this coolant change is being done check the condition of the top and bottom radiator hoses. If in doubt renew them now. The correct coolant is not cheap, nor is the labour to do the work, so it's obviously best to change the top and bottom hoses when you are replacing the coolant).

3. Check the sections of radiator exterior you can see for debris blocking the air passages. When your bumper bar gets splattered with large insect debris and other litter so does the radiator. Where you can access the front of the radiator give it a brush down and use a hose as necessary to help remove any debris.

4. There is plenty of very humid air where you are so you can expect the condensation run off from the air con to be substantial. Bad flow often means the drainage pipe is partly blocked by debris and if yours is flowing freely it's good.

Delish-VY

Banned
Reaction score
Originally - Eastern Suburbs - Melbourne, Currentl
Members Ride
2003 VY S pack
check ur heater tap hasn't packed it in?, happened to my last car n it pissed coolant everywhere...think you'd probly notice that though.

Sly

Reaction score
Members Ride
Y II Clubsport 260
Could be something to do with the auto cooler lines going through the rad? if the tourque converter was heating up heaps from the hill the oil could warm the rad to heat the engine? (long shot but its worth thinking about)

barbershark

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2
not sure about the 2nd fan kicking in, I have a feeling that it did but I will have to listen for it when I do the trip next.

barbershark

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2
Thank you so much for all of the responses everyone. I am confident that the water dropping from the bottom of the car is actually condensation. I'm pretty watchful of it and it has never been green which is good (thanks for the tissue tip that's a good one). The coolant levels in the radiator are all fine ,I've checked them consistently over the last few weeks. There is a little bit of gunk build up around the cap, which may be an indication that I have the get the radiator flushed again (I did it about 2 years ago, when I noticed the gunk the first time, but didn't realise it was something that needed to be done every 2 years).

Its a good tip to drop the auto back into 3rd or 2nd. The auto seemed to just drop down and boost on up the hill without changing too much, but worth a try to see if there is any difference.

So I'm guessing by the general responses the next course of action will be to flush the radiator, maybe get the guys to put the rods through it and clear it out and go from there. Will let you know. Hope that's the solution.

Thanks again!!