Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Over heating vs v6

Philhermit

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Olympic edition v6 ute
Hi all.... vs v6 Olympic edition ute over heats under load.
It first started very infrequently, car would run as it should and then, only sometimes, if I turned off the engine and then soon after started it again it would suddenly spike temp very high and sometimes would all of a sudden drop back down. Or if I turned off the engine and started again it would just run as normal.
I checked and changed everything, everything..... to my surprise when I finally got to the water pump, I found it had no blades left all corroded..... but the cat still ran normally temp sat where it should almost all of the time until this infrequent spike that would go away ad quick as it came.

Now the car seems to run fine if I am driving it like I stole it..... but if left to idle for a while will get a little hot. But if I have a load in the back like a tonne or if I'm towing a trailer WITH a load on it.... then the car just gets hot.

When I check, everything seems to work maybe when ac isn't on the fan turns on a little later then I think it should.... but ac on will make no difference, still just gets hot under load.

Any thoughts

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Flush the radiator?

Philhermit

Reaction score
Members Ride
Flush the radiator?
Yeah.... I have done it all..... used radiator flush, did it again with hot water, again with hot water and thermostat out engine running, and again just to make sure, I don't think theres an engine that has been flushed more....? I collected the water that came out and did end up with more than enough rusted metal and stuff. I flushed it so much I created many leaks which I then had to fix..... replaced everything I could think of that might or could be a reason. Why does it over heat under load

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Have you tried reverse flushing the radiator?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
By a new rad they are only about 50 bucks.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Replace the temp sensor maybe its not sending the right info to the fan to switch on, or try swapping fan relay over, replacing everything doesn't explain much. Are the fan's coming on, is your thermostat opening and closing, did you use anti freeze / boil, do you have a trans cooler, is there anything in front of the car like bull bar blocking airflow. Maybe get a twin trans radiator cooler.

Philhermit

Reaction score
Members Ride
By a new rad they are only about 50 bucks.
I flushed the car's cooling system and have also replaced the radiator and flushed the whole system many times, thinking I may have something floating around.

Philhermit

Reaction score
Members Ride
Replace the temp sensor maybe its not sending the right info to the fan to switch on, or try swapping fan relay over, replacing everything doesn't explain much. Are the fan's coming on, is your thermostat opening and closing, did you use anti freeze / boil, do you have a trans cooler, is there anything in front of the car like bull bar blocking airflow. Maybe get a twin trans radiator cooler.
I've changed everything, as I said fan comes on speed increases when ac is on.

Let's just assume I'm not an idiot..... to avoid replies like have you put coolant, not being rude.... as I appreciate anyone trying to help.

I can drive the car hard, I have many roads around me that are crazy and 100km/h I can drive hard like I'm racing it car runs great..... driving hard not fast. No problems...... but if I drive it easy with a load it instantly starts to overheat...?
Answer that

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
There is a plastic strip that covers the gap between the top of the radiator and radiator support panel. There is also supposed to a plastic strip under the radiator with a 90 degree turned down edge. These are there to help airflow through the radiator and without em fitted can have heat issues. Does it have AC? Is the AC core not blocked reducing airflow?

Next. Is the maf clean? If these get dirty they can cause a lean condition which creates extra heat.