Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Over heating

Bradlee92VP

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP SS Commodore
Hi all. I recently brought a carbed 5ltr VP that runs hot. I just want somethings confirmed as to if it’s a head gasket. There is no water in the oil,water from the radiator gets anoily film feel to it. After every 5minutes of idling (hot engine) if I squeeze the top radiator hose a big air bubble comes out (I have bleed air out/purged) there is no constant bubbling in the radiator at idle either
The car will sit idle at about 95c with both fans supporting the radiator. Driving on the road at 100kmh it slowly rises to 110 c+ (With and without thermostat)And would keep rising. Timing is exactly 10 degrees. Heater is blanked off. No water leaks . Brand new radiator cap. Brand new 650cfm Holley, Franklin h20 cam , heavy valve springs and aftermarket push rods and lifters

what are your thoughts?
has anyone else had this problem

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Have the cooling system pressure tested...That shows up head gasket problems...

With the car running and radiator cap off, bubbles are generally seen in the radiator if a head gasket is blown.

So a couple of things to check out

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
I generally get bubbles if I blip the throttle on an engine with a blown head gasket. Have you checked the usual suspects-blocked radiator, stuck thermostat, maybe blocked exhaust?
The 10 degrees on the base timing is BTDC?

Bradlee92VP

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP SS Commodore
Hi MikeC,
Yes I have checked all of the basic stuff, I have back flushed the block a fair few times and fitted a new radiator. I also installed a new thermostat. Definitely not a blocked exhaust as it sounds free flowing while revving and driving

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Can you do a compression test?