Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Over sized tyres on the VE? (just a though)

ascottaudio

AscottAudio
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V8
Ok so please don't shoot me down in a hail of "what a silly idea" ...cos it is only a 'thought"

My last car ..a VU SS ute came with 20 inch wheels with 35 profile tyres. This is actually a size larger than they should have had for the model.

As we all know.. the VE wheels tend to look small ( as the car is bigger than previous models)..so what about "up-sizing" the tyre profile???

My VE has the standard 245/45/18's.. I see that there is a 245/55/18 tyre..(although not common)

Of course there is an up and down side to doing this..like the gearing and speedo is put a bit "out of wack"..but some of these can be adjusted (I had the speedo calibrated on the VU easily..dont know about the VE?)...

Slightly taller gearing would give slightly better fuel economy..and you get to fill out the guards and get a better look with out bigger wheels or as much lowering...

As I said just a thought at this stage..would also need to make sure a lager tyre would fit ok without fouling anything.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
I don't think it would work. For example, you see 4wd's getting around with small wheels but big tyres. I don't think it looks particulary good. Compare that to a jeep with 24's for example and it looks way better.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
Slightly taller gearing would give slightly better fuel economy.

Ok, firstly.... Incorrect on this notion.
All you'll be doing is moving very slightly lower down on the rev range (so for instance at 100km/h the engine will be revving slightly less), and this wont have any bearing on fuel ecomony.
It's actually probably a bad thing to change the revs you are sitting at, because Holden have more than likely done a lot of testing and tuned the engine and the gearbox ratios to run as efficiently as possible at certain common speeds (like 60, 80, 110 etc).
Taller gearing will only make the engine work harder to maintain that speed due to the extra torque required to turn the wheels, and stuff up shift points (you will change gears right when you dont want them to change, or not early enough).

I know you said "dont shoot you down".... but seriously man, there are no good arguements for putting bigger wheels on your car. I'm not going to lecture you on ego/roadworthiness/insurance, but its not just a matter of the speedo being way out (which on its own is enough reason to not do it).

discomat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
I don't think it would work. For example, you see 4wd's getting around with small wheels but big tyres. I don't think it looks particulary good. Compare that to a jeep with 24's for example and it looks way better.

personally I prefer the big tyres on a 4x4...

Jebadayah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
My VE has the standard 245/45/18's.. I see that there is a 245/55/18 tyre..(although not common)

Are you sure you're not thinking of 255/45/18's? Reason I ask is because my car had these slightly wider (but same rolling diameter) tyres on it when I bought it. I'm guessing the original owner had them fitted for the extra load rating, as the car has a Reece Hitch towbar, but when I replace the tyres I will be going back to 245's cos I don't need the higher load rating.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS

I'm sorry, did you just say that a Jeep with 24 inch wheels looks better than one with 16 inch steelies and 33 inch muds?