Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Overcoming 10psi pinging

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
I have a 10psi Mace pulley upgrade, and love it. However, I am doing country miles at the moment and having trouble at times getting 98ron fuel. I was thinking I should go to an 8psi pulley (95ron is never a problem). Is there another way I can get around this issue (without intercooling?) If I go to an 8psi pulley, will the belt supplied with the 10psi pulley fit?

vyseriesII

The Blessed Hellride
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VyS S2 Blown
Octane booster is an option, but with the price of fuel not really economical :( But if your wallet is deep.

What does I am doing country miles at the moment mean? Is it a long term or short term thing. Anyway you go will cost you $$$ unless you just put up with it and don't sink the boot all the time while highway driving.

Last edited:

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Get it tuned for 95. You'll have to compromise some power, but thems the breaks. It's a more permanent solution till your circumstances change.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Setup methanol injection.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Pinging comes about from a combination of heat and time (of the air/fuel mixture) under pressure in the combustion chamber, the simple solution is obviously running better quality fuel as is recommended with the 10 psi upgrade. Time, well can't really change that, pressure, yes you can change that by fitting a larger pulley. What you can influence though is the heat or temperature of the mixture, you can't alter the amount of heat created by the blower as the air is compressed but by running a quality CAI to help reduce the temperature of the air coming into the blower and running a cooler thermostat so that the air is heated less are options you can control.

It's a shame the Air intake temp sensor is in the air box and not after the blower, where you would be able to tune a lot more accurately to suit actual intake temps.

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
I do have a 'growler' cai attached, maybe that helps? Short of intercooling (just not in my budget) Are there other worthwhile mods that would lower the temp enough to run 10psi on 95ron ? Otherwise I think I'll have to step down to 8psi

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
A Mace insulator might take the edge off, but highly unlikely. Nothing short of running 98 as intended, a de-tune, dropping the PSI, or methanol injection is going to help. Whatever you do, do it soon, detonation will ultimately destroy your engine.

MACE

Reaction score
I have a 10psi Mace pulley upgrade, and love it. However, I am doing country miles at the moment and having trouble at times getting 98ron fuel. I was thinking I should go to an 8psi pulley (95ron is never a problem). Is there another way I can get around this issue (without intercooling?) If I go to an 8psi pulley, will the belt supplied with the 10psi pulley fit?
Hi Fletch_QLD,

Thank you for your enquiry

"I have a 10psi Mace pulley upgrade, and love it."
Great, happy to hear that!!

"However, I am doing country miles at the moment and having trouble at times getting 98ron fuel."
What a shame, however we understand it is difficult to obtain this fuel in more remote areas.

"I was thinking I should go to an 8psi pulley (95ron is never a problem)."
You could certainly do that if you like.

"Is there another way I can get around this issue (without intercooling?)"
A custom tune on your current setup with 95 fuel is another way this issue can be solved.

"will the belt supplied with the 10psi pulley fit?"
It would

If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to ask

Kindest Regards,
Dean