Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Overfilled auto trans....have I screwed it ?

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Fair enough. I'm mixed up with another transmission. Autos aren't my specialty.
Plenty of autos have them though.
I know BMW have that system which are plastic crap that fail a lot, and Ford Ranger have a metal one which people removed and put a full flow valve in its place. Holden to my knowledge never had one unless it was way back before I was born. I know vr had a issue with the valve body as I had mine upgraded to stainless steel as the original system was known to collapse destroying the transmission.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The 4L60 does use plastic components, accumulator valves are one and it's common for them to crack. The Boost valve controls pressure but I'm not sure if anything inside that is plastic. I know my new one from Sonnax is all alloy with double O ring seals for extra insurance.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The 4L60 does use plastic components, accumulator valves are one and it's common for them to crack. The Boost valve controls pressure but I'm not sure if anything inside that is plastic. I know my new one from Sonnax is all alloy with double O ring seals for extra insurance.
News to me they are made from aluminium sleave with a steel valve the last time I pulled one out.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yes, the body is alloy with double O ring seal to stop the leak between the boost valve and valve body.

LatinDancer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2, 3.8 Executive
Thanks for your replies, gentlemen. The problem has been resolved. I drained it OK this morning and put in the correct amount of fluid. Car now drives very well.
Must have been foaming caused by the overfill, which apparently happens......I Googled it and implosion causes foaming.....

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Thanks for your replies, gentlemen. The problem has been resolved. I drained it OK this morning and put in the correct amount of fluid. Car now drives very well.
Must have been foaming caused by the overfill, which apparently happens......I Googled it and implosion causes foaming.....
Yip and with air bubbles means the parts don't get protected.