Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Overfilled engine oil?

Hussien

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE v8 L98 6.0L
Hi,

I just changed my engine oil 5w30, I drove 3 kilometers only.

The mechanic should put 8.3L, but he put 9L!!!!!!!!!

Is this a serious problem?

What problems can you get when u overfill ur engine oil more than the recommended? Any bit of help would be appreciated.

Darrell

Who, me?
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II SV6 Thunder Ute
Why did you change your oil after 3km? ... or did you mean you CHECKED your engine oil?

How do you know there is 700ml oil extra in the engine?

Serious problem? It can be, but it all depends on how much extra.

You sure YOU didn't change the oil and throw in too much?

Hussien

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE v8 L98 6.0L
Why did you change your oil after 3km? ... or did you mean you CHECKED your engine oil?

How do you know there is 700ml oil extra in the engine?

Serious problem? It can be, but it all depends on how much extra.

You sure YOU didn't change the oil and throw in too much?

I mean I changed my engine oil with filter and I didn't drive so much, just 3km to go back home and turned off the engine.

I asked the mechanic, he said I put 9 liters (9 bottles each bottle is 1L). The owner's manual says 8.3L. There is 700ml extra.

Is this 700ml extra a serious problem?

Darrell

Who, me?
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II SV6 Thunder Ute
I don't think 700ml is going to cause you too much of a problem.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
700mls won't hurt the motor at all. You're talking like 8.4% over fill which is ok. Though having said that, I would not recommend over filling much more than this.

Check the dipstick level and if it bugs you you can either let some out carefully through the drain plug or use a suction gun to take some out the dipstick tube.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
If it is overfilled by 7 tenths of a litre it should show up on the dipstick as being much too high.

To answer your question, too much oil in the sump means the oil will be churned and foamed (ie. aerated.). Once this oil foaming occurs you cannot get adequate lubrication to critical engine parts.

So check the oil level again and if it is significantly above the full mark have some oil drained from the sump and get it back to the full mark on the dipstick.

There is no way I would run an engine for any length of time with oil overfilled as much as 7/10 of a litre (about 1.25 pints) above the full mark.

(By the way GM warns NOT to overfill the sump on their engines for good reason. They don't provide this advice for the fun of it.)

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
as above, yeah, check dipstick , if over and worried drain a bit out , check dipstick again and adjust.

I've seen an engine filled to the top of rocker cover, that's an overfill.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
I've seen an engine filled to the top of rocker cover, that's an overfill.

With oil ? why would anybody do that ??:banstick:

I have seen a diesel power generator filled up to the rocker cover with diesel. The person who hired it from where I work was not sure where to put the diesel. The big plastic tank with the diesel cap was not a giveaway. Just lean over that and put the diesel into the top of the motor. Lucky it wasn't me that was called out at 11pm to get it going again.

Even after 3 oil changes, it still blew a lot of smoke when cold. Lucky it was warm when we sold it:rofl2:

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
700 mils over is pushing a little on the high side. The L98 engine (up to MY09) had a bigger sump than the last of the L98 in the MY9.5 series VE which had a 7.6ltr sump which is the same as the L76 and L77 in MY10 VE and series 2 VE/VF. So there is a little more room for excess oil. I was told anywhere up to 500mls over would not hurt the motor.

Most of the Holden techs (and others) I know will do the 8.3ltrs of oil (to include oil filter) to 8.5ltr easier to calculate unless they use the new oil guns which measure the oil flow. Having said that I do like to measure mine out to exactly the spec.

As others have mentioned you can drain some from the sump, its not hard just takes a little patients and don't remove the sump plug away from the hole. Drain a little then recheck the dipstick, repeat process until right. If you go to much just top it up.