Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Overfilled the oil

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I checked it few times......
I didn't think I added too much,but again, maybe I did?
Holden manual says:
When topping up the engine oil, allow approximately 10 minutes for the oil added to fully drain into the oil pan.
(bold and underline added)

I like that. Problem with that is when the engine is running the oil isn't at the same level as when it has been sitting for 10 minutes. In my eyes, oil level during engine operation is critical, what it does when sitting still is secondary (just like checking the transmission). Check the oil level straight after you turn the engine off gives a good indication of running oil level.

On an ecotec what you have on the dipstick is fine. I believe the manual says 4.2 litres (can't remember if that is with or without filter). When I do an oil change on ours it gets almost 5 litres and I have no issue with aeration of the oil and I also happen to know a bloke who actually measured the volume of the ecotec sump (with it off the engine) and it will take about 5 litres of oil without coming over the baffle plate inside the sump so no issue with the oil getting into the crank and causing trouble.

Member 1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
I like that. Problem with that is when the engine is running the oil isn't at the same level as when it has been sitting for 10 minutes. In my eyes, oil level during engine operation is critical, what it does when sitting still is secondary (just like checking the transmission).
Totally agree with you.
Now, would Holden have factored in the oil level 10 minutes after the engine reached its operating temperature?
who knows?

Member 1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
I believe the manual says 4.2 litres (can't remember if that is with or without filter)
The service book says 4.8Litre approximate with filter.
Now, I use a larger filter than holden's. I use K&N HP-2001 which has more capacity.