Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

overheating 2001 vx

John70

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 holden vx acclaim v6
vx was overheating.Replaced sensor at thermostat no change.Removed connection to thermo and disconnected one of the fans.Now one thermo works on a continual basis when driving.No overheating.The overheating light comes on.Before the temp gauge when at less than half it was overheating Now I can place my finger in the radiator and its slightly hot with the temp gauge in the same position.Does what I have done have some negative short or long term affect on the computer or other problems that may affect the car.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Is it with A/C on or off? If you have the A/C on the fans will run continuously

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
vx was overheating.Replaced sensor at thermostat no change.Removed connection to thermo and disconnected one of the fans.Now one thermo works on a continual basis when driving.No overheating.The overheating light comes on.Before the temp gauge when at less than half it was overheating Now I can place my finger in the radiator and its slightly hot with the temp gauge in the same position.Does what I have done have some negative short or long term affect on the computer or other problems that may affect the car.
your discription is a bit confusing, to answer your questions only the comp will acknowledge a fault, your just creating a alternative issue to the existing problem. To assist... Is the thermofan that you disconnected non functional? Is the thermostat ok or possibly not opening as per required?

mechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
The engine computer knows there is a coolant sensor fault (because you disconnected it), so it doesn't know how hot the engine is.
For safety reasons it assumes the engine is overheating and runs the cooling fans non-stop.

Plug your cooling fans back in, drive to a mechanic and diagnose the real overheating reason.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
vx was overheating.Replaced sensor at thermostat no change.

Did you replace anything else, like maybe, the thermostat itself? Was there some particular reason you replaced the sensor or was that a blind stab?

John70

Reaction score
Members Ride
your discription is a bit confusing, to answer your questions only the comp will acknowledge a fault, your just creating a alternative issue to the existing problem. To assist... Is the thermofan that you disconnected non functional? Is the thermostat ok or possibly not opening as per required?
Has a new thermostat.only connected the passenger side fan with the sensor on the thermo disconnected so it now works continuosly and keeps the engine from overheating.Even when it was overheating there was no indication on the dash lights.They both work with only the thermo sensor not connected.Mechanic suggested a direct connection between the fans and ignition at $150 my solution cost $0 I wish to no if there are any other negative impacts from what I have done

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Has a new thermostat.only connected the passenger side fan with the sensor on the thermo disconnected so it now works continuosly and keeps the engine from overheating.
lt is possible a thermostat can stick or not open fully even new. Its happened to me, only l put lt in 112 deg boiling water and checked before fitting. The fan issue l can see it helping for now but lt needs to function the way its intended as you are aware. It could be still running to hot and the comp is retarding timing and setting rich fuel to cool combustion, a possibility.

John70

Reaction score
Members Ride
Is it with A/C on or off? If you have the A/C on the fans will run continuously
The air con used to activate the fans but now even if I return the connections to normal the fans do not turn on.The mention of increased fuel usuage could be correct, but hard to define as the fuel gauge is faulty.Would a seperate switch to activate one or both fans have any affect on the comp as I have seen several posts about people doing this.I checked the the thermostat before installing.Replacing the thermo sensor was a suggestion from this website.Going to a mechanical workshop in my area has been a problem in the past also the low value of the car.