Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

overheating 2001 vx

Discussion in 'VT - VX Holden Commodore (1997 - 2002)' started by John70, Jan 27, 2019.

1. John70

John70 New Member

Members Ride:
    2001 holden vx acclaim v6
    vx was overheating.Replaced sensor at thermostat no change.Removed connection to thermo and disconnected one of the fans.Now one thermo works on a continual basis when driving.No overheating.The overheating light comes on.Before the temp gauge when at less than half it was overheating Now I can place my finger in the radiator and its slightly hot with the temp gauge in the same position.Does what I have done have some negative short or long term affect on the computer or other problems that may affect the car.

2. accentstencil

accentstencil Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    WH II Caprice, 5.7
    Is it with A/C on or off? If you have the A/C on the fans will run continuously

3. gohrdrgomad

gohrdrgomad Active Member

Members Ride:
    VxCaly57
    your discription is a bit confusing, to answer your questions only the comp will acknowledge a fault, your just creating a alternative issue to the existing problem. To assist... Is the thermofan that you disconnected non functional? Is the thermostat ok or possibly not opening as per required?

4. mechanic

mechanic Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore
    The engine computer knows there is a coolant sensor fault (because you disconnected it), so it doesn't know how hot the engine is.
    For safety reasons it assumes the engine is overheating and runs the cooling fans non-stop.

Plug your cooling fans back in, drive to a mechanic and diagnose the real overheating reason.

5. _R_J_K_

_R_J_K_ Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Zenki S14
    Did you replace anything else, like maybe, the thermostat itself? Was there some particular reason you replaced the sensor or was that a blind stab?

6. John70

John70 New Member

Members Ride:
    Has a new thermostat.only connected the passenger side fan with the sensor on the thermo disconnected so it now works continuosly and keeps the engine from overheating.Even when it was overheating there was no indication on the dash lights.They both work with only the thermo sensor not connected.Mechanic suggested a direct connection between the fans and ignition at $150 my solution cost $0 I wish to no if there are any other negative impacts from what I have done

7. gohrdrgomad

Members Ride:
    VxCaly57
    lt is possible a thermostat can stick or not open fully even new. Its happened to me, only l put lt in 112 deg boiling water and checked before fitting. The fan issue l can see it helping for now but lt needs to function the way its intended as you are aware. It could be still running to hot and the comp is retarding timing and setting rich fuel to cool combustion, a possibility.

8. gohrdrgomad

Members Ride:
    VxCaly57
    Typo...

9. gohrdrgomad

Members Ride:
    VxCaly57
    lt could create alternative issues. Best to get it fixed.

10. John70

John70 New Member

Members Ride:
    The air con used to activate the fans but now even if I return the connections to normal the fans do not turn on.The mention of increased fuel usuage could be correct, but hard to define as the fuel gauge is faulty.Would a seperate switch to activate one or both fans have any affect on the comp as I have seen several posts about people doing this.I checked the the thermostat before installing.Replacing the thermo sensor was a suggestion from this website.Going to a mechanical workshop in my area has been a problem in the past also the low value of the car.

11. gohrdrgomad

Members Ride:
    VxCaly57
    Did you disconect the - battery first.

12. John70

John70 New Member

Members Ride:
    This my first car with a computer so I did not disconnect the battery,as was unsure of the result

13. gohrdrgomad

Members Ride:
    VxCaly57
    ln my experience lf you do not, a plug in component looses contact and can be disabled. So you may have created the fan problem simply not disconecting the -.

14. gohrdrgomad

Members Ride:
    VxCaly57
    for example the air box wires, maff sensor, fans, abs at the hub, around the throttle body just to mention some you may address or already have. Disconect first. When finished check all wires are conected, reconect the computer. It will then comunicate with all that is plugged in and reset/recalibrate etc. In some circumstance a proceedure is required such as a ldle learn proceedure.