Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Overheating after oil change

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
...Just as a side note too much oil can overheat the motor...

if the oil level is high enough it can become aerated, and foam, which means that in each volume of oil there is a content of air, which doesnt protect bearing surfaces well.

one thing you can do is get an oil test to find out whether there is excess bearing material present.

How long did it run for with 5 litres in? How hard was it driven? If you filled, started, checked, then realised and dumped a litre, it woulnd't have damaged anything.

Was it running fine after the radiator change?

Which flush did you use, and was there a lot of carbon when you dumped it?

mischf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive S2
It says up top i drove round for a couple of days with the 5 litres, normal driving. I used nulon oil flush. And the oil was real crappy, it wasn't even black, it was like, dark grey and see through. YUCK. That was probably the flush though. I put GTX2 in it. And its a new thermostat. I know it's' working cause it opens up after 10 mins and the top radiator hose goes real hard. And I bled it too. The whole thing was running sweet as after I put the radiator in, for over a week. But the oil change buggered something up. There's no oil light or anything but the oil filter gets really hot. If you touch it for 1 second your finger burns for about 5!

05 VZ SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7 M6 Silver
Quick question - What is the thickness of oil you put in? Too thick can overheat a motor....

Matty o

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VU SS UTE
maybe your fuse as blown under the steering column. that happened 2 mine and it overheated so maybe thats it. it is the one that runs ur ac and cooling system. just a suggestion.

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
Could also be that when you did the flush it dislodged a whole lot of junk, and that has since blocked the oil pickup line in the sump. Seen it happen before. Only way to clean it out is to drop the sump.

I know you said the oil pressure light doesn't come on, but that isn't always a good indicator that the oil pressure is right. Test the oil pressure and see what it's saying.

mischf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive S2
Hi, no the fan works fine. Anyway I've cleaned around the intake manifold and there's tiny bits of green coolant coming out from under the intake manifold, like stockvp said. But it's hardly leaking at all. My old radiator had a split down one side and leaked constantly and wasn't overheating. GTX2 is 20W50. So yeah there's a tiny leak from under the intake manifold but I don't see how that could make the coolant boil. That doesn't mean it's the head gasket though does it? The coolant is still bright green.

Thanks for the help everyone, but I think i'm gonna go buy a vl.

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
Change the oil again and see what happens, I used to use GTX2, wasnt satifised with it in the last three services, seems to have lost quality. Using Penrite 20-60 and its great.

mischf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive S2
BTW how do i test oil pressure? I ordered a service manual on CD off ebay a week ago but I haven't got it yet...

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
What ratio of coolant to water did you use?
AirStrike :air:

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
ok 2 things I'm thinking

1 is you've damaged bearings from overfilling

2 is you've clogged the sump strainer (as mentioned before) and you've damaged bearings

dont drive it

take an oil sample and get it tested- $33 you have the results in 2 days. Will tell you excess materials including bearing materials. I think you will find a lot of bearing material present.

consider flushing again, i can get you some complete fill flush, which will do a lot better than nulon- at i think $35 it can be reused up to 6 times. But, if I'm right about the bearings, you can clean the pickup by hand while you replace the bearings that are fried

consider a far better quality oil than GTX 2 ALWAYS

nulon does do a fine job, but as you mentioned, too much carbon & sludge can be a real problem.