Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Overheating after oil change

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
holden007 said:
Change the oil again and see what happens, I used to use GTX2, wasnt satifised with it in the last three services, seems to have lost quality. Using Penrite 20-60 and its great.

Penrite HPR30 is a damn good oil. I've heard mixed reports on the GTX2 oil, some people say it's fine, others say that it's crap. I've never heard a bad word about Penrite oils.

richie_cky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP S Model
If there is bearing material in the sample of oil taken...whats the best course of action from there? Would my engine be stuffed? lol
Also, can the sump be dropped from the engine, without having to take the whole engine out?
Regards,
Richie

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
If there is excessive bearing material present, then unfortunately yes, she is due for a freshen up. Problem is the suspect bearings need to be replaced, the matching surfaces need to be machined, the other bearings would have fouled because of the excess material, and once you've got it out you may as well go the full rebuild. Or a second hand motor..

if you go the secon hand, get an oil test & compression test on that one too before you buy it. Will give you a lot of information about internal condition, and will guarantee a good motor

xcop5l

4th year spanner spinner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ex cop 5L
Well heres what i think is going on > you havent bleed the cooling system properly and you have an air lock in your cylinder heads and its causing the coolant to boil thats your thumping. theres a quick fix for this. jack the front of the car up as far as you can take off your raidator cap and undo the little bleeder screw on the thermostat housing. then run the car till it gets hot always watching for air and topping it up as needed. DONT rev it becaue it wont heat up evenly and will devlope hot spots and the problem wont go away

bandit0014

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Commodore Wagon
Hi mischf i done a oil change in my vn 90 sereis 1 used penrite hpr 30 plus the lucas additive about 500mls since then its been overheating bad also used the nulon oil flush to now get this ripped the heads of thought it might be head gaskets got them serviced & crack tested & he checked the old head gaskets & told me there was no sign on leakage there but my oil pressure light was on so i dumped it & used penrite hpr 15 & alls good if you want to check if it is your headgaskets take it to your radiator repairer & ask him to do a co test on it it cost nothing & it tells you if you have carbonmonoxide in your water

CSL

Reaction score
Members Ride
missus (in more ways than one)
mabyue as a coincidence your thermostat has ****ed up and wont opne, test it