Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Overheating in traffic

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
My Super6 had an issue with overheating,
Simple fix was the damn Thermostat at the back of the blower, not impossible, nor an an easy job.
Had to remove a lot of hardware that made it a bit easier to replace.

glenncol

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Sports Wagon
But the OP hasn't changed the coolant or been experiencing loss of coolant (well not that he stated and would have expect he'd have said so if he was, being important points).

I've also changed the coolant in the VT (it was originally the family car) and not bled the system, without a problem. The reason being go back before a certain time and no vehicle of any kind has a coolant bleeder. You simply refilled the complete dry system after say an engine rebuild, started it up, and kept a close eye on the coolant topping it up till it came up to operating temperature. Stick the cap on, go for a test drive, and then recheck everything one more time, job done. Any trapped air just had to make its way out of the system all on its own.
Hi, i applogise all for not getting back on regarding this

I have replaced the relays and still have the issue, I have noticed we are loosing water as well

glenncol

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Sports Wagon
Hi all
I got a leak test done this morning and the mechanic has recommended replacing the water pump, the hot water tap due to leaks), and the thermostat

Do you think these items could have caused the issue?

Last edited:

SamVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
Hi all
I got a leak test done this morning and the mechanic has recommended replacing the water pump, the hot water tap due to leaks), and the thermostat

Do you think these items could have caused the issue?

Since the others are all too busy fighting, simply put, yes.

I’ve had all 3 fail at certain points. The heater tap in these cars tend to fail regularly, as do the thermostat. The water pump can also be a culprit, but you may as well replace all 3 at once and a coolant flush will get it back to its best.

If you wanted to save a few dollars, these are relatively easy things to change yourself with some patience and following a manual. If you lack confidence, best you have the mechanic fix it.