Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Overheating no reason as to why

Victor Creed

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
so just thought id see if anyone has had this happen before because it's got me stumped.

blew a hose on my power steering ended up getting that replaced also found out my new ute has kframe damage so that was wonderful. now after having my power steering fixed and being told it was all good i proceeded to go run some errands took me about a 30 minute drive. as i pulled into a carpark i was greeted with a overheating notification on the dash and my temp was in the red. i stopped and the ute was pissing out water from the looks of it.

proceeded to ring the mechanic that fixed my steering to come have a look and he was stumped he couldnt find anything wrong and suggested i just drive it again and keep an eye on the temp. i havent had a problem so far. he thinks it could have been an air pocket in the cooling but isnt sure because he hadnt touched the cooling and the car has had no prior overheating issues before this.

ive been driving it since then and temps remain the same anyone got any clues? just saving up some cash before i take it to my mechanic.

the ute does a small cam and ive noticed engine gets super hot but my temp and oil temp are all normal

any input would be appreciated cheers

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Step 1. Learn really fast how to service the car or these will send you broke.

As for the rest, you have to take their word they didn’t touch the cooling system. No one will be able to assess the system by just having a look. I’d say they removed a hose to make replacing the power steering easier. Cheers caked it back together. Air pocket afterwards and boom.

What can you do? Flush and clean the system. Use the red coolant in VE SS. Get a new cap. Make sure the reservoir is full. Good idea to do a basic air bleed with an eBay coolant bucket. New thermostat. That’s in the lower front right. (Left looking into the engine bay). I’d throw a new coolant temp sensor in with coolant dropped.

A workshop would pressure/vacuum test the cooling system at a minimum.