Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

overheating pb: Flushing coulant / change radiator?

zai

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive serie 1 1990 VN V6 3,8i 340 000 km
hello,

i have an overheating pb with my car (commodore sw 89 without radiator cap and expansion tank) when i drive slowly in town and have to wait several time for the green light, my gauge grow up until more than the mid range. If i stop my car, i can't start my engine and i have to wait about 10 minutes to start again.

No such a problem when i drive constantly or fast on highway. My gauge is just after the first sign.

I have no leak and i just drive from Melbourne to Syndey in 10 hours without any problems of overheating or starting (when i stoped to fuell up my tank).

I went to a mechanic a few month ago: no gasket pb, he changes my termostat. Perhap's a radiator pb he said.

1) So, i would like to know if I really need to change my radiator or just flush it?

2) Flushing method??

-> do i add the entire contents of the radiator flush & clean solution with the old coulant?

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/how-flush-v6-cooling-system.28762

->or do i must add this solution after draining the old coulant????

http://autorepair.about.com/od/regularmaintenance/ss/coolant_flush_2.htm

a. drain coolant from system, dropping the bottom radiator hose

b. put flush in expansion tank with clean water and run for 15 minutes

c. put bottom radiator hose back, drain, and fill with water untill expansion tank is full, then remove botom radiator hose again. (this helps remove more residual coolant etc)

d. re-fit bottom radiator hose, fill with water and then run engine (leave expansion cap off) for a few minutes. heater tap on hot.. this circulates clean water through the heater system and heads

3) if i flush, do i really need to use a radiator flush cleaning solution?
or can i just draining the radiator and couling system and clean it with water?

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/change-engine-coolant-vn-vp-vr-vs.4516

4) do i really need to buy a good coulant like tektaloy for commodre (about 40$ for a concentrate of 5L + 5l water) or the cheapest one is ok (10$ for 1Ol of premix without water) ?

5) 10l for the radiator+expansion tank capacity?

Thx for your help

++

Last edited:

zai

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive serie 1 1990 VN V6 3,8i 340 000 km
hey,
no one have an idea for all my enquiries?

Otherwise, i have just bought a radiator and clean solution tektaloy for 8 box. It seems I have to flush the old couland before using the cleaner with water.

leigh 7005

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb sle
if it is blocked real bad you have to get a shop to flush it you can try to flush your self put the flush stuff in drive it for a day or two then drain stick the hose in there and wait till it is coming out clear the should be ok also im not sure if vn s have a air bleed valve im pritty sure they do it you have air in system it might over heat it should be on the termostat housin some where.

leigh 7005

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb sle
once you fill the radiator keep the hose in the radiator open the bleed valve and start car let all the air come out then it should be ok hope it helps.