Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Overheating problem - Where is the Temp Sender located. Not sensor, SENDER :)

Just_Holden_On

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Fully Sick Six
Hi All,

First post WOOHOO!

So here is my problem, my wife's VX has an intermittent overheating problem.

Only recently it has been becoming more regular, ever since I did a coolant flush and filled her up with new coolant.

It all started last week about 2 days after I completed the flush etc, I noticed it was overheating. Pulled over every time to ensure the engine didnt get too hot, mind you the needle rose extremely fast triggering the car to sound the "BEEP BEEP BEEP* warning alarm :hmmm:.

I noticed a loss of coolant and then the noise *HIIIISSSSSSSSSSS*, the 4 way heater tap had perished and I was losing fluid from the lower hose. After replacing the heater tap and 2 of the hoses I thought it was all sorted as I had about 4 days of not a single problem. Temperatures sat around a third of the way on the dial.

This morning I got a call from the wifey saying it was heating up again so she pulled over and then managed to get her back to her folks without a problem.

After all this I turned to the net to see what other issues may be causing the overheating, I noticed that I did not bleed the cooling system when doing the flush etc. This has now been done. I also noticed that the thermostat can be a common cause of this problem so now this has been done. I also read that the temp SENDER can cause incorrect readings which might set off alarms. I was going to replace the sender but I am having a hard time locating it, I can find the temperature SENSOR quite easily it is just the SENDER which I am having trouble locating. Would anyone have a diagram/photo of where the sender is located?

I would also like to add that when I did bleed the cooling system it did take around 10 minutes to get all the bubbles/air out, I tightened the screw once I had a steady stream of coolant for about 5 seconds. The car has sat in the driveway since I have replaced the thermostat and bled the cooling system so for all I know the problem may be resolved but I would like to change the temp sender as I have purchase a brand new part so wouldn/t hurt in replacing it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Matt

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
It can take several attempts at bleeding to get all the air out. Make sure you have your heater on hot when you bleed it.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
I also read that the temp SENDER can cause incorrect readings which might set off alarms. I was going to replace the sender but I am having a hard time locating it, I can find the temperature SENSOR quite easily it is just the SENDER which I am having trouble locating. Would anyone have a diagram/photo of where the sender is located?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Matt

Hope this helps.
As described in the top left picture......

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Just to be clear, that picture must be out of a VS workshop manual. VT onwards only use the 1 sensor, the dash reads from the PCM.

No, it's from my VT-VZ (1997-2006) Gregory's Manual. Not a VS one. I don't have a VS manual nor do I have a VS car.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Have you an IR or hand held digital probe thermometer?
Next time (if you have not resolved it already by correctly bleeding) the temp skyrockets take a temp reading to confirm the gauge is reading accurate.