Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Overheating Problems, HELP!

Chaps

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 3.8L Acclaim Wagon
My commodore has recently had problems with over heating the hot and cold gauge is below half but when I get out of the car I can hear bubbling as if it is boiling, it is never after constant driving just after sitting in traffic, is there a problem with the radiator cap? Or something more? Cheers.

1dvsbstd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES II 2016
My commodore has recently had problems with over heating the hot and cold gauge is below half but when I get out of the car I can hear bubbling as if it is boiling, it is never after constant driving just after sitting in traffic, is there a problem with the radiator cap? Or something more? Cheers.

well tbh mate have you checked your coolant levels? checked for leaks? flushed the radiator and put new stuff in? check the radiator cap..? sounds to me like ure cooking your engine:p

sizzle sizzle:D

Chaps

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 3.8L Acclaim Wagon
Yeah ny mechanic had all that done and had no answer for it besides it could be my cap, just thinking others my have some ideas...

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
Yeah I would have thought coolant levels too, my first guess would be cap. Don't go removing when it's bubbling... that would be the opposite of good. Some tosser did that the other month in a town not far from mine, 2nd degree burns for him.

Chaps

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 3.8L Acclaim Wagon
Yeah nah I won't be making that mistake, Mabey I'll just grab a new cap from the local car yard and see what happens

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
replace your cap and thermostat before you blow your radiator

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
If for god knows what reason for you had to remove the radiator cap when its hot, use a massive beach towel & keep all your weight on it then slowly release. I have had to do it once on the side of a freeway late at night cause my thermostat failed, had to do it quick was in a bad spot, never again.
But yes replace your Cap & thermostat and do a full flush, check for leaks

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
If for god knows what reason for you had to remove the radiator cap when its hot, use a massive beach towel & keep all your weight on it then slowly release. I have had to do it once on the side of a freeway late at night cause my thermostat failed, had to do it quick was in a bad spot, never again.
But yes replace your Cap & thermostat and do a full flush, check for leaks

if you do it with the engine running it doesn't explode in your face but do take care
;)

adjustin

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt calais 98
Righto chaps, I've got the same problem...

it started with a heater tap blowing off, replaced that. Discovered a radiator leak, tried all options before eventual replacement. At the same time I got the radiator put in, got the thermostat replaced.
immediately after getting it home, same problem as you have described, air rushing through the system as if boiling, though temp is ok.
Eventually, (month or two later) replaced water pump, flushed head radiator and hoses. Thought I had fixed the problem, as I refilled the levels and bled system properly (have become quite proficient with this task) and heater ran well, car operated at what I thought was close to normal op tems.
very next morning, same blowbac through radiator! Grrrrrrrrrrr
Now the only thing I can think it might be are these three options:
thermostat not functioning properly and causing pressure above the head via steam, which is release when water pump is not functioning;
radiator cap is old and could have lost it's sealing abilities ( these are high pressure radiator systems)
or my head gasket is stuffed, though I think less likely, as no water in oil and no real identifiable steam in exhaust.
For me, I'll try the cap and t stat 1st, much cheaper than trying the head gasket.
It is very frustrating though, but this is the end result of not maintaining my cooling system properly for an extended time.
One other thing I'm curious about, does your air con still work. as the air con and radiator are linked perhaps they may be related? thats a long shot though, and I'd rather be wrong...
juz

adjustin

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt calais 98
also, if you suspect the head gasket is stuffed, apparently there is a simple test and decent mechanic can do, it is a cap they swap for your radiator that identifies exhaust emissions in your radiator, this would be a clear indication that there is leak between the two.
good luck