Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Overheating....

SHANBANGER

Der Meister
Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS S2
Hey guys i have got a VS II with about 175 thousand on the clock. After ive driven the car it smells like its real hot or sort of a burning smell from the engine. Ive pulled the bonnet up and its real hot where i place my hand and on top of the radiator and fan. The temperature gauge has the temp at below half when im driving if that helps. It also ticks after ive driven it and even after a 5 minute trip it will still do this. Got any ideas on what the problem could be?
thanks guys

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Have you degreased the engine lately? Got plenty of oil in the engine?

00vxsc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX L67, ln106 hilux, xr600r
phucked radiator? also turn you aircon on and listen to see if your thermo's are working? thermo's should come on when you turn you aircon on. if they dont, then you have an electrical issue with your thermo fan.

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Might just be the degreaser burning up mate. When i had my engine bay degreased and burning smell lasted ages then was just gone one day. It's just degreaser residue burning up from engine bay heat most likely if nothing is overly hot and your temp gauge is alright.

CoMrAdE MaRx23

CoMrAdE MaRx23
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 1995
Definatly agree with Cobez.

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
phucked radiator? also turn you aircon on and listen to see if your thermo's are working? thermo's should come on when you turn you aircon on. if they dont, then you have an electrical issue with your thermo fan.

I'd say his temp gauge would let him know if his radiator was rooted and his engine would be getting pretty hot. I'd say it's just degreaser residue getting hot and letting off a smell.

It's a pretty feral smell too from memory.

SHANBANGER

Der Meister
Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS S2
Might just be the degreaser burning up mate. When i had my engine bay degreased and burning smell lasted ages then was just gone one day. It's just degreaser residue burning up from engine bay heat most likely if nothing is overly hot and your temp gauge is alright.

thanks a lot for your help. i was getting a little worried and you have saved me a trip to the mechanic. thanks again

SHANBANGER

Der Meister
Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS S2
I'd say his temp gauge would let him know if his radiator was rooted and his engine would be getting pretty hot. I'd say it's just degreaser residue getting hot and letting off a smell.

It's a pretty feral smell too from memory.

yeah its a real bad smell and actually smells like something is wrong with my engine which is why i was getting a little worried. Theres also a bit of prepsol in it too which could make it a bit worse

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
No worries mate :thumbsup: My mechanic actually degreased my old engine bay for me and said i'll be able to smell the burning off residue for a little while. Lasted about 2 or 3 weeks and was then gone.

Not telling you to be a hoon or break the law but get your engine nice and hot (hotter than usual) regulary and it should help it burn off a bit quicker.