Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Overheating

Ninjat1981

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 vz wagon
I know. It's fucked.. But rather that than the head. But still won't be cheap

DeanoV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I did mine buy removing upper intake manifold etc, wasn't easy but it can be done

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
If your mechanic says they can't do it by just removing the plenum and intake manifold, change your mechanic.

DeanoV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
If your mechanic says they can't do it by just removing the plenum and intake manifold, change your mechanic.
Would there be much of a time difference mechanic should have a hoist and other gear to make gearbox way easier?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
There are a couple of youtube vids showing how to change the thermostat without removing the transmission.
Some Kiwis did one of them.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The method where you don't remove the transmission is really time consuming and fiddly. You won't get a good view of what you are doing. For that reason, a professional mechanic won't generally do it.
The proper way is to remove the transmission, see what you are doing, clean the area properly etc.

For someone in a backyard or garage with time and determination, I think the removal of the intake manifold and lower plenum is a worthwhile thing to have a go at.

Ninjat1981

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 vz wagon
So the mechanics hoisted it and pressure tested it. No leaks. Checked the head.. Fine.. Ran it at 15psi pressure for over an hour.. Nothing.. He bled the line. I replaced the cap and so far. Hasn't lost any fluid. But.. Thermostat may still need replacing. I'll know soon enough