Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Overheating

Ninjat1981

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 vz wagon
Hello. I have a question for you about my 06 vz wagon. I look after it it's serviced. I checked the coolant and everything but today randomly my temp gauge spiked. All the way.
Checked coolant and I took about a litre.
I check my coolant all the time and in the 8 months I've had the car it's always been fine.
Since this happen it seems to be burning through coolant somewhere. No leaks. Nothing from hoses yet I've put away 2 litres of coolant in it. Its all clear and no milk or muck.
Also found this hanging down. Doesn't explain the heating but what is it....
Any ideas?
Really hope it's not the head as that makes no sense. Coolant level is always fine. I don't thrash it and it was serviced in November...
Thanks for the help.

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
Most likely a leaking heater tap, or cracked radiator tank, but could be as simple as a faulty cap.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
As above, change your cap for starters. They lose pressure as they age which may explain the temp spike and perhaps the loss of coolant.

Ninjat1981

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 vz wagon
I filled it up last night. And it's empty this morning.. That's not cap is it? I've been told water pump but I can't find leaks

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
That's not cap is it?

Not if it's been left cold overnight. What do you mean by it's 'empty'? If it's the overflow tank, then that's normal, as the car cool, the coolant returns to the radiator. If it's the radiator that's empty after filling then it's leaking from somewhere. Have you looked over the entire engine for evidence? Welsh plugs would be my next guess, they're harder to see. You presumably have coolant on your driveway if it's leaking that bad?

Ninjat1981

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 vz wagon
Welsh plugs was a other thing I was told. And I open radiator cap and have to put in about 500mls of water. I can't see any water anywhere. I have a vid but I can't post it on here for some reason.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have a vid but I can't post it on here for some reason.

You need a certain number of posts to be able to do that :/

Probably time for a trip to mechanic, unless your able to DIY.

Ninjat1981

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 vz wagon
I can a lot of stuff but don't have the tools and I have a bung knee so I can't climb in and under like I used. I'm booking in with my mechanic.