Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tamara-ann

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
My ve 2006 Calais keeps overheating and I’m stuck on why!
I was driving it and one of the hoses popped off and coolant went everywhere. Fixed that and it was fine for a few months and now it’s overheating again.
I’ve done a flush and changed the coolant, bought a new cap, what else can I try since I’m not too aware of cars?
There’s no leaks that I can see/find.
The car can sit there for 30-60 minutes before getting in the red and the radiator gets warm/hot.
Please help!

Tamara-ann

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
Thermostat, water pump, correct coolant. Are the fans working.
How can I find if it’s the thermostat or the water pump? I bought the coolant that was recommended for my car from supercheap and both the fans are working.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Does the coolant level under the pressure cap stay constant or drop down regularly? Check for a leak down the back of the engine and under the gearbox, and from the heater hoses. Also make sure the radiator hose is very firm when it's hot. If not firm your new radiator cap is no good. The cap must be genuine Holden part.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Fairly sure a diagnostic tool can detect if the thermostat is working ok. It will also be able to test fans and coolant sensor.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I bought the trans oil for my VZ that’s Super Crap recommended and it was wrong. Had to replace and flush, was extremely annoyed.

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I bought the trans oil for my VZ that’s Super Crap recommended and it was wrong. Had to replace and flush, was extremely annoyed.
Which fluid?

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Fairly sure a diagnostic tool can detect if the thermostat is working ok. It will also be able to test fans and coolant sensor.
I doubt it, there is no sensor on the thermostat but a tech2 could display the coolant temp which should go up and down as the thermostat opens.
Just feeling the hose for pressure and temperature will tell you a lot to start with.

Tamara-ann

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
Thank you for everyone replying but like I said I’m super inexperienced about cars and was so confused about it all so a mobile mechanic will be coming out tomorrow to have a look at it. Fingers crossed he can figure it out