Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Overheating

Shane_0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 2007
Hi
I have ve ssv 07, had to replace radiator and already had new water pump. Installed both same time new coolant aswell.

Had new cooling fans , temp sensor and thermostat installed recently.

It is overheating and spitting the coolant out of reservoir, boiling and steam.

Does any 1 know why this is happening?

Thanks

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Probably worth trying another new pressure cap and make it a genuine one from Holden.
At the same time double check you have blead all the air from the cooking system to ensure it is full of correct coolant not air pockets.
If still having issues maybe pull out the thermostat and put it in a pot of boiling water to make sure it opens correctly. I'm guessing a dud cap to begin with though. That's a regular problem with V6s. Haven't heard as many cases with V8s but quick and easy to replace without getting dirty.

Shane_0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 2007
Probably worth trying another new pressure cap and make it a genuine one from Holden.
At the same time double check you have blead all the air from the cooking system to ensure it is full of correct coolant not air pockets.
If still having issues maybe pull out the thermostat and put it in a pot of boiling water to make sure it opens correctly. I'm guessing a dud cap to begin with though. That's a regular problem with V6s. Haven't heard as many cases with V8s but quick and easy to replace without getting dirty.
Ok thanks, I'm not sure the procedure to fully bleed air out of this model/engine?

Do you know how?
Thanks
Much appreciated

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Nope sorry, haven't touched the cooling system on the V8 but others will know.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Unlike the V6s, you don't need to do anything special to bleed air out of the V8s. Any air present in the system will travel to the coolant recovery reservoir. Just check the level in the reservoir and top up the coolant (as necessary) over the next few days of driving.

Did you have a cooling problem before you decided to fire the parts canon or did the problem appear afterwards?

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Hi
I have ve ssv 07, had to replace radiator and already had new water pump. Installed both same time new coolant aswell.

Had new cooling fans , temp sensor and thermostat installed recently.

It is overheating and spitting the coolant out of reservoir, boiling and steam.

Does any 1 know why this is happening?

Thanks
Blown head gasket?