Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Overheating?

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
i was driving tonight and i was no more then 4 kays from home when the 'engine temp high' alarm came on. naturally i pulled over and let it cool down. when i got back home (about 30 minutes later) i popped the bonnet only to find the lower radiator hose leaking. i had figured the clamp was loose and it had just lost coolant. i went and bought new coolant (drove dads ute) and a new clamp, fitted it and topped it up.

i took it for a spin around the block after a few hours and it did the same thing, the warning came on. once again, i got it home and checked everything. the hose/clamp were fine. not a problem. but you coudl hear the coolant being blown back into the overflow. after taking the radiator cap off you could see the water going up, and down, and up and down. and also when it was revved the water would blow out the top.

my old man reckons that thats a tell tale sign of either a fugged thermostat or a blown head gasket...

so, anyone got any suggestions of have they had any problems similar to this?

sting ls2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Clubsport ls2 A4
Troy i would have to agree with your old man,common symptoms there.

hkmonaro68

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
Take it to your dealer, still under warranty?

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
i would be leaning towards the thermostat idea.

but deffently take it to holden so your in the clear

Ronaldw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CALAIS DEC 2007
Going on past experiences with the VT they had a screw on top of the engine to let the air out the top so you don't get air locks, now I am 100% on these engines but if they work the same way when changing the water or refilling after losing a lot of water you have to let the air locks out from the top of the engine block to avoid the type of thing you are having.
It just a thought as I have not had a good look at the cooling system yet.

A

Andre's SS

Thermo is blocked causing ya to blow the hose!

Pressure build up-Now ya have fixed the hose and topped her up still the

same problem right?

So its the thermo...take it out and start ya car i bet no probs.. do this

just to test it-i recommend ya put a new thermo in.

let us know what the problem was.

Not the head gasket i very much doubt it.

genIIIbandit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series II SS BLACK M6
i agree, try bleeding the system first, it either has an air lock or thermostat isn't opening.

Sammy

Reaction score
Website
www.oldholdens.com
Members Ride
LH Torana with Ecotec V6
alloytec has a coolant system cap on the highest point at the front of the motor, if you fill it from there and let all the air bleed out with the engine running that should ensure thats not the problem.

its possible its a head gasket, way to rule it out would be to remove the cap i mention above, start the motor and fill the coolant up till its lapping at the top of the cap, then see if you get any bubbles coming up, if so this could indicate compression getting pumped into the coolant system, also the pulsing water could indicate the same thing ....

having said that thermostat being stuck closed will cause overheating, but i don't know if it would cause the pulsing your describing.

anyways, its monday now so your cars quite probably at a dealer already :)