Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oversize Throttle Body

M

micheledip

I am looking at putting a bigger throttle body on my car, i just want to know if any one has done it and where i can get one in Perth. It is going on a VR 5.0

What are the sizes for them?

Does it make much difference??

How big can i go as well ??

What kind of induction would i need for it 4 inch pod with 4 inch pipe or what??

Also i want to put VT/VX brakes on my VR. How do i find out if i need the hub as well because i heard from some places that in early model VR they need the hubs but the later ones don't???

fergi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5 LITRE V8
there is an article in street commodores,april 2003 on fitting a larger throttle body and i remember reading a couple of weeks ago an article in the same magazine s ,,not sure what month ,but it was on different makes of throttle bodies,it seemed to make a difference in the higher rev range,about the same performance gain as a chip i think they said,,,i can scan the article on here for readers but i think it would not be legal,, maybe darren you can fill me in on this if it is legal or not. but i think it may be copyrighted

cheers fergi

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
I have installed the vt/x brakes on my 94 vr commodore and didn't have a problem .It has the non regreasable hubs that are on most vr/s
If yours has the hub that is attached to the strut by 3 large allen head screws at the back or doesn't have a grease cap on the hub in the centre between the studs on the outside then it is the later type.
You need shims and longer brake hoses to fit the later 28mm vt etc setup to the vr hubs however.
There is a bloke on ebay who is selling the kit complete at a reasonable price and is great to deal with and will answer any questions on it.

Mark

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
here's a side on pict of the set up..note the centre hub with no grease cap

Mark

M

micheledip

so if i bought that kit from hopper stoppers

which comes with

300mm KIT TO SUIT VR/VS COMMODORE 300mm kits are as above, however don’t need the conversion hubs

click on this link for details on the kit

http://www.hoppers.com.au/brakes_files/scan0007.jpg

Would this be all i needed for my car plus a one inch master cylinder??

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
The grease cap is on the VP and the hub non greasable type with the removeable disc is in the VR/S .
You need the 290mm discs.If you use genuine vt/x discs you need shims because the in centre of the hub the hole in the disc is 1.5mm bigger on the VT/X .The disc will go over your hub but it will be too loose and not centre properly.
DBA (Aftermarket disc manufacter) do make a disc that has the right size hole but they are a fair bit more dough.
You also need hoses VT original or custom made as the distance from strut mount to where the solid line joins at the body is about 50 mm shorter on the VX/Y .You can use VT original hoses but not VX/Y ones that some blokes will try sell to you with calipers in the kit.
At full steering lock the VX hoses when installed on vr/s will pull very tight if you use them.
I replaced the booster with a dual diaphram type ,installed a slightly softer reaction disc in it but kept the 15/16 master cylinder and the pedal is fine after the pads wear in .
I got my parts from chamra down south and his prices were very good and I was considering slotted discs if you want to ask him about prices email him on [email protected]

Mark.

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VPII Calais
Not too sure about the brakes, but getting a larget throttle body won;t do too much to your performance without changing injectors and getting a custom chip.
Getting more air in there will make a small difference to a point where it begins to restrict the intake. Dual throttle bodies it a totally different story, but id reccomend pulling the air intake off and cleaning the throttle body, both inside and behind the lip. (you will have to move the accelorator cable to access it).