Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Overtly Rich!

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
Right this is getting me down now, I just replaced both fuel pumps, the AFS, and fuel filter. FINALLY, the car is running again, but its so rich that it hardly runs and shitloads of black smoke are ruining my nice chrome tip! The new AFS is factory set and sealed so it can't be that, fuel reg perhaps? Not that it should make a difference but i took the new low pressure pump from a VN, its slightly different in shape but is in essence the same thing and works fine.

Mike.

(Help me, god help me)

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
For the record I just tried disconnecting the return line at the tank end and collecting the return fuel seperatly. Heaps of fuel came out, but the car still ran real real rich. Is there anything anyone can think of I should try before shelling out on a new reg???

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
test the fuel pressure is my advice, it sounds like you've mucked about with fuel delivery

why did you replace those items?

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
I replaced the pumps because (see other posts) both had packed it in. The low pressure pump was only giving a dribble and this had led to the high pressure pump seizing. Replaced the filter as good practice.

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
wait and see what others say, but i can't see why you're pressure reg would be the problem. something's making your car run rich and if this only happened since you changed those items it sounds like it's something you've touched.

if the reg was working before i don't see why it would suddenly break.

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
QUOTE i can't see why you're pressure reg would be the problem. something's making your car run rich and if this only happened since you changed those items it sounds like it's something you've touched.

if the reg was working before i don't see why it would suddenly break.

I agree with Jule's, your fuel pressure reg could be the problem but it was working fine before hand. Check the fuel pressure, off the top of my head I can't remember what it should be.

Are you 100% the replacement AFM was the correct item?

Is your other AFM dead or did you just replace it in the elimination process?

Try the other AFM if you still have it around. Then get back to us.

Jake.

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
Also...

after reading that you disconnected the return line and heaps of fuel came out.

Your reg. is doing it's job and shouldn't be stuffed, like I said it's really hard to take stabs in the dark without sussing out the fuel pressure.

Jake.

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
QUOTE (OSL060 @ Jan 7 2004, 04:16 PM) Try the other AFM if you still have it around. Then get back to us.
this is the best way to test stuff, i'd love to have two cars so i could just swap everything and see

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
Ok keep in mind this is for the RB30e but I'm pretty sure the SOHC RB20's used the same setup but different injectors.

Fuel Pressure @ Idle- 200kpa approx.
At 0 vacuum- 250+/-20kpa
Fuel pump minimum delivery: Low pressure- 2 litre/min @ 30-40 Kpa
High pressure- 2 litre/min @ 250 Kpa

Fuel pressure regulator solenoid valve resistance- 35.2 ohms

(remember to check resistance with the component disconnected)

If all the RB20e Nissan ECU spit's the same codes and uses the same extraction process I can also give you that.

Jake.

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
QUOTE this is the best way to test stuff, i'd love to have two cars so i could just swap everything and see

haha that is the undocumented rule of the RB owner, always have mate's with the same motor. Nothing worse than forking out stupid money for a AFM only to find you have a blocked fuel filter.

Jake.