Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

oxy sensors remove + airbox wire remove. Need advice

JACKO4590

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VX SS
Ok before anyone gets up in arms like I've seen in other threads on here. This is for a burnout car that can't re registered.

Ok, so I'm planning on running my exhaust out from the extractors to the side of the car where the front door meets the back door.

What is the better setup? Don't run any cats or O2 sensors or should I have de-cat pipes with the O2 sensor plugs still in them? ATM they aren't plugged in at all and I'm not seeing any codes but the car hasn't moved more than 500m so not sure how it's going to act when I take it to an event.

Also, I'll be putting a pod filter on as where the box normal sits is where the ecu is mounted. That plug that goes into the box, is that needed?

Even if I leave the airbox wire and O2 sensors unplugged would I be looking at getting it turned to help it? Lights and beeping noises won't bother me but performance is what I want to make sure I don't strain the engine too much.

Thanks.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
if you remove all those sensors the ecu will go into limp mode
what are you planning on doing with the tune or are you using a different ecu

JACKO4590

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VX SS
ecu and engine is from a different car. So while that is now in my car it seems to run fine but I havent tried driving it so not sure how its going to preform with these wires unplugged

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
LS1? The sensor in the airbox is air intake temp, leave the sensor plugged in and cable tie it to the side of the intake pipe, no need to have it in the actual intake air stream but the ECU needs to see a signal. Leave the O2 sensors out all together, the car will run fine without them, just have an engine light on. They only adjust the fuel trims in the ECU, being a burnout car, economy is not important.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
v6 or ls? tuned or no tune? maf or mafless?

02 sensors are a must & if it is burnout car most like exhaust to go to back tyres to fan smoke out to make look more impressive.I'd still want a straight-thru muffler either side...will still be loud & sound better....straight pipes sound annoyingly crap,if plan on driving events passengers will hate it.

Plug for airbox is airtemp sensor & yes required also wherever intake can draw cool air with out getting covered in crud is preferred.

Proper tune would be helpful not only to make more power but to turn fans on earlier & maybe engine will last longer if you're one of those limiter bashers.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Ok before anyone gets up in arms like I've seen in other threads on here. This is for a burnout car that can't re registered.
Important info as it clarifies use and avoids all the comments related to legality :cool:
Ok, so I'm planning on running my exhaust out from the extractors to the side of the car where the front door meets the back door.
Do the organisers place any requirements on the exhaust? I wouldn’t think so but I don’t know... there may be some national (safety?) standards related to the activity :rolleyes:
... performance is what I want to make sure I don't strain the engine too much..
Burnouts and not straining engine/gearbox/diff sounds a bit like an oxymoron.. I’d guess things will break, fly off or burst into flames on a pad :p If your doing it correctly :oops:

JACKO4590

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VX SS
LS1? The sensor in the airbox is air intake temp, leave the sensor plugged in and cable tie it to the side of the intake pipe, no need to have it in the actual intake air stream but the ECU needs to see a signal. Leave the O2 sensors out all together, the car will run fine without them, just have an engine light on. They only adjust the fuel trims in the ECU, being a burnout car, economy is not important.

Ok thanks. If I could keep the air box in the same spot I would but like I said the ecu is in the way now. But I’ll just tie it somewhere on the intake pipe. As for the O2 sensors. Good to hear I don’t need them at all.

v6 or ls? tuned or no tune? maf or mafless?

I'd still want a straight-thru muffler either side...will still be loud & sound better....straight pipes sound annoyingly crap,if plan on driving events passengers will hate it.

Proper tune would be helpful not only to make more power but to turn fans on earlier & maybe engine will last longer if you're one of those limiter bashers.

it is a LS1 and not turned. Completely stock but thinking about a maffless turn maybe later down the track. This is only a side hobby and with a comp coming up this January I’m just getting it ready for it.
Wasn’t gonna go straight pipes but was thinking of chucking a couple of hotdogs in there to make it sound different. Of course I want it loud.

also fans are going to be wired to a switch so they will be on before going out to the pad anyways

Important info as it clarifies use and avoids all the comments related to legality :cool:
Do the organisers place any requirements on the exhaust? I wouldn’t think so but I don’t know... there may be some national (safety?) standards related to the activity :rolleyes:
Burnouts and not straining engine/gearbox/diff sounds a bit like an oxymoron.. I’d guess things will break, fly off or burst into flames on a pad :p If your doing it correctly :oops:

No requirement on the exhaust on this comp (is a local ran one) but they do dislike straight from the extractors.

I know things will break and I’m awaiting on doing something like piston through the block so I can fix that but for my first comp I want to make sure this make shift car I have won’t just die as soon as I take it out. Know that I know the air box temp sensor just has to be zipped tied somewhere.

Any other advise on things that should be done is welcomed. It’s got a LSD diff from a VU SS. Does that need to be welded or should be fine?

Thanks.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
I'd still fit 02 sensors stock ls1 feel lazy & lethargic in stock form...limp mode or running rich will be boring slug like most stockers tend to be.

Sell lsd or swap for single spinner that can be welded up or spool fitted.

Tried most of these tricks on stock 220k vy m6 sv8 when I got it...sounded shite straight-piped then again with just cats as 'mufflers' still loud less shite sounding...really do sound better with some muffling.
Straight off extractors sounded horrible barely got to end of street.

It was a boring ol' dog to skid untill mods like 'off the shelf' mafless tune/extractors then sounded decent with twin 3' xforce & vcm otr.Busted both engine mounts first test drive :cool:

Seen a few clapped out ls1's live for ages bouncing off the limiter...basic mods,tune & new valve springs

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
if u dont want to run 02's u need the tune setup to not look for them as u can run OL all the time but also the fueling may or may not be correct so worth at least getting that dialed in, if u do run 02's they need to be in the exhaust and not anywhere near the outlet as air does get sucked back in and it will negatively affect the fueling, IMO just get it mafless tuned to stay in OL maby a little rich up top to stay safe and your done, if u want it to last longer on the burnout pad swap over to ethanol so your high IAT's dont kill it