Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oxygen sensor info ?

kause

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Executive
Hey everyone this is my 1st post loving the site!

I have an 05 vz executive and have owned it for a month.
Very concerned though! I put my foot down and the car feels like its struggling. Its hard to explain, im not the best when it comes to cars and how they work yet!
Anyways to cut a long story short my mate says it may be the oxygen sensors and/or the injection system? Something along those lines. Just wondering how much im looking at to do it myself or a mechanic.

Sorry if this is too little information i just have no idea when it comes to this. But i want to learn! Any feedback would be great!

Cheers

CRUSTIN

P-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S 175 Ute
Welcome

Please define struggling. Low power?

kause

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Executive
Hey well it sorta Feels like its jolting and jumping THEN it goes fine, it feels like its slipping a gear maybe?

bcw61

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive Wagon
Hey everyone this is my 1st post loving the site!

I have an 05 vz executive and have owned it for a month.
Very concerned though! I put my foot down and the car feels like its struggling. Its hard to explain, im not the best when it comes to cars and how they work yet!
Anyways to cut a long story short my mate says it may be the oxygen sensors and/or the injection system? Something along those lines. Just wondering how much im looking at to do it myself or a mechanic.

Sorry if this is too little information i just have no idea when it comes to this. But i want to learn! Any feedback would be great!

Cheers

Sounds like you have a perceived issue with the engine output. Only real way of telling, is to put it on a dyno, so you know if you really have a problem. If you have previously owned/driven vehicles with higher engine torque characteristics (especially down low), then the Alloytec may come across as a bit disappointing. If you do have low engine output, this could be caused by a whole raft of issues, ranging from electrical, to fuel system, even to engine mechanical issues.

If it is a major concern, then you probably need the dyno type run to check engine output. If nothing else, it would establish a baseline figure that you can then work from, and may even highlight obvious faults or alternatively, indicate that there is no issue. Any other speculation here would just be a wild guess.

BTW, I somehow doubt O2 sensors really have much to do with the ultimate engine output, as their main job is to ensure that the engine fuel trim stays within the most efficient range for the catalytic converters - ie for fuel economy/efficiency, and minimum tailpipe emissions.

kause

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Executive
Hey there thanks for the quick feedback!
Ok so its worth giving it a run on the dyno? Ill have to get some prices.
No i have never driven a car with more torque at all. Ill give the dyno a go while i still have warranty on the car. You know how dealerships work. 3 months warranty :S
Thanks again!

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
How many k's has it done?

You'd be surprised at how O2 sensors affect the way it runs too, just changed ours because it felt like the car had bad leads, it was struggling under load. 2 new O2 sensors and she's all better.

I would get the codes checked before you do a dyno tune, there isn't much that can be done to the alloytec by just running it on a dyno. It's an expensive way to diagnose it. Take it to a mechanic that has a scan tool, 5 minutes and they will tell you if it has logged any error codes and what they are.

6h84eva

Certifiably Holden Mad
Reaction score
Website
www.ithome.net.nz
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6
Jolting and jerking can also be the result of a dirty or failing spark plug or a failing coil pack. Again, mechanic with the proper diagnostic tool would be able to tell you if it was a coil (or so I am told). Traction Control when it kicks in can also feel a bit like what you are describing. Turn it off (if you have it) and see if the issue stays with you. Confucius say "Man with diagnostic tool is cheapest route to finding the answer, if answer not self evident"

heyitsEnricoPallazzo

Big block Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ A4 Saloon
Jolting and jerking can also be the result of a dirty or failing spark plug or a failing coil pack. Again, mechanic with the proper diagnostic tool would be able to tell you if it was a coil (or so I am told). Traction Control when it kicks in can also feel a bit like what you are describing. Turn it off (if you have it) and see if the issue stays with you. Confucius say "Man with diagnostic tool is cheapest route to finding the answer, if answer not self evident"

36 posts since 2004?

Confucious also says, "Man who does not impart knowledge is like a fountain without water".

kause

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Executive
Lol thanks guys
Ive booked a service for the 27th of this month. Ill let you know how i go! Hopefully the cash i need to dig out is at a minimum. HOPEFULLY!