Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

OZtrack Tuning ( mail order ) Yay or Nay

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s m5 supercharged
How can people not get there head around the tuning thing ill never understand.

There are programs out there for free all you need is a cable and you can pull your tune make mods and put it back in to the pcm, Take my car a supercharged v6 vy. All i needed was a $50 aldl cable 2 FREE software programs and done i can pull my tune make mods and reflash it done easy. Yes you might need a few other pices of hard ware depending on your computer but they dont cost that much.

How can people offer mail order tunes, easy they have a proven data base of what works with what mods so they get a list of what mods you have flash a chip/pcm and mail it out to you.

As it has been said with the 300kw tune yes they just flash a known tune into your computer do a few runs to make sure its fine and SOME people MIGHT make a few very samll changes here and there.

There will always be a few cars that need a lot of time because they are way out there with huge mods but 98% of the people out there with say a ls1 full exhaust and a otr will have a tune so close you would be shocked. Its the same motor same mods how can it be so different ???????

I have had a true custom tune done by dick and he has spent days with my car and im still going back for small adjustments here and there as different driving conditions show up small things that need an adjustment.

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
Flashing a base tune from one vehicle to another and leaving it be isn't tuning....

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s m5 supercharged
For the OP most places dont notice maf missing, they do the brake test check tyres and lights done next car please.

or you can leave it there and just gut it.

2INIL8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH COMMODORE 308
I can relate to what steve is saying as i tune the early vn-vs and
modified cars nearly always have dramas due to old parts,incorrect setups etc.
I do mail orders too and ive had so far 2 ring up with dramas and one had
the wrong ecu one quoted the wrong ecu.
The other thing people seem to think is that a tune changes,i can assure you it does not
once a tune is programmed thats it.
Ive had steve tune my car ls1 twice and no complaints apart from having a locked ecu
and although i dont like it i do understand why its done,to protect their work and stop people
from stuffing with the tune and causing big problems.
I ended up buying efi live myself and another ecu as i upgraded my injectors tb and diff.
Tuning is not easy i dont care what any internet muppet says.
If you think you can do better go for it,efi live is available to buy.
I hate this slander that a certain few are posting on here and other forums.
1 in particular is young and very inexperienced
I think in cav454s case there is some underlying issue with the car.
I would reccomend anyone to steve and actually did the other day.
I can also tell you now you cant just flash the 300kw gts tune and hope for the best
it needs alot of work,and uses a 78mm throttle body compared to 75mm stock so
idle parameters are different ,timing ve , and camshaft are different in a gts.
Imo you are better of starting with the stock tune its easy to
adjust from there.
Or let a professional do it rather than risking blowing up yur engine
to try save a few $$$.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s m5 supercharged
I can relate to what steve is saying as i tune the early vn-vs and
modified cars nearly always have dramas due to old parts,incorrect setups etc.
I do mail orders too and ive had so far 2 ring up with dramas and one had
the wrong ecu one quoted the wrong ecu.
The other thing people seem to think is that a tune changes,i can assure you it does not
once a tune is programmed thats it.
Ive had steve tune my car ls1 twice and no complaints apart from having a locked ecu
and although i dont like it i do understand why its done,to protect their work and stop people
from stuffing with the tune and causing big problems.
I ended up buying efi live myself and another ecu as i upgraded my injectors tb and diff.
Tuning is not easy i dont care what any internet muppet says.
If you think you can do better go for it,efi live is available to buy.
I hate this slander that a certain few are posting on here and other forums.
1 in particular is young and very inexperienced
I think in cav454s case there is some underlying issue with the car.
I would reccomend anyone to steve and actually did the other day.
I can also tell you now you cant just flash the 300kw gts tune and hope for the best
it needs alot of work,and uses a 78mm throttle body compared to 75mm stock so
idle parameters are different ,timing ve , and camshaft are different in a gts.
Imo you are better of starting with the stock tune its easy to
adjust from there.
Or let a professional do it rather than risking blowing up yur engine
to try save a few $$$.

I agree it not easy to know where to go to make improvements for the general pubic but a turner should have a real good idea where just about everything is.
The gts tune might need some tweeks but once it's done for one car the turner has a VERY good base to load into the next

I have experience with a full custom tune and a mail order chip(for different cars) for the mail order the guy needed the model, motor type, fuel used, trans type and mods carried out the tune worked very well with a very noticeable power increase. The only way without the taking a guess on what to do was burn the chip with a known tune that works for that combo from his data base. He even said he has known changes he adds to the tune.....

Last edited:

John Revill

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.2L A6
I am lucky in that my old tuner some 10 years ago did not lock my custom tune. However a friend had there car tuned a couple of years ago and their tuner locked them out and he couldn't even get in there to change speedo calibrations. It took 17 hours for a key finder to unlock the ECU. I will never take my car to a tuner that locks the ECU.

Jake Wilson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sedan
Do you have a link to this man? Would be great to do some home tuning at the small stages and learn a bit