Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P plate exhaust legality??

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Umm as far as I know it's performance mods that are directly connected/added onto the engine itself?

Therefore a cat-back exhaust is legal because there are cats & headers in between the engine and exhaust.

Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
put a V8 exhaust on it pretty sure its 2.25, at least you can say its made by the manufacturer

vicroads said:
has an engine that has been modified to increase the vehicle's performance (other than a modification made by the manufacturer in the course of the manufacture of the vehicle, or

Wasnt added at factory

Umm as far as I know it's performance mods that are directly connected/added onto the engine itself?

Therefore a cat-back exhaust is legal because there are cats & headers in between the engine and exhaust.

Please correct me if i'm wrong.

It doesnt stipulate where on the car the modification has to be to be banned. If that were the case every P-Plater would be rocking rear-mount Turbos.

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
It doesnt stipulate where on the car the modification has to be to be banned. If that were the case every P-Plater would be rocking rear-mount Turbos.

I can understand that but I've never heard of anyone copping an engine mod fine + 3 demerit points for a cat-back exhaust, me myself have received many a defect on cars with cat-back exhausts and never been pinned for it.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
P platers can't have a turbo anyway unless it's a diesel and only in certain vehicles.

An exhaust is permitted providing it is the same configuration as factory, if the factory exhaust has 3 mufflers, the replacement has to as well.

Also, it has to be under 90dbA, which an XForce is not.

An exhaust is not an "engine modification". Extractors are, the exhaust is not. The exhaust is an "emissions and noise control device".

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
P platers can't have a turbo anyway unless it's a diesel and only in certain vehicles.

An exhaust is permitted providing it is the same configuration as factory, if the factory exhaust has 3 mufflers, the replacement has to as well.

Also, it has to be under 90dbA, which an XForce is not.

An exhaust is not an "engine modification". Extractors are, the exhaust is not. The exhaust is an "emissions and noise control device".

Touche on the Turbocharger comment, but you get my point :p

And those 3 mufflers would also have to be standard configuration aswell, not High Flow etc. etc.?

HEKYEH

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged 2010 VE SS-V
I am a Red P player in VICTORIA and want to know if an exhaust (2.25" catback) is considered illegal and will get me in jail?

No....but by the looks of things you might end up there anyway for something else........

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
They will lock you up in jail where you are likely to be 'probed'

Don't even think of any mods