Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P Plate Exhaust Modifications

VryBigPP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 MY14
Hey guys, I'm moving on to my P plates later on this month, and I want to make one modification to my VX Acclaim Series 2, and that is replacing the old, rattling exhaust with a new DEA exhaust, 2.5" catback, muffler & dual outlet. I've done some reading before this regarding insurance and cops picking me up on it. I'm understanding of cops pulling me over for it, and I'm more than happy to cooperate with them and chuck the old one back on if they don't like it, I'm not one to be showing it off in public and get picked up for it quickly, I know better than that. My main concern is regarding the insurance, as a 19 year old, I don't think any insurance companies would let me register with a modified exhaust, since it would technically improve engine performance. I'm here to ask what possible consequences could I face with my insurance if I were to insure my car without mentioning the aftermarket exhaust? What would my worst outcome be? Any particular things to look out for? Any advice for this noob would be appreciated, thanks guys :)

VryBigPP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 MY14
EDIT: my main concern with all of this is that my insurance company will completely deny my coverage in case of an accident, regardless of who's at fault because of an aftermarket exhaust. I don't care about the cost of replacing the exhaust back, I'm just worried for the worst where someone causes an accident with me, and I don't get cover because of an exhaust, would that realistically happen?

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
I'm here to ask what possible consequences could I face with my insurance if I were to insure my car without mentioning the aftermarket exhaust? What would my worst outcome be?

If you are involved in an accident your insurance wouldn't pay for repairs and could cancel your policy. When you try to get insurance with another Company they usually ask if you have had a policy cancelled or refused insurance previously and would want to know why.

Best thing is to ring your Insurance company and ask if they will cover you with the modifications you want. Otherwise be patient young man and wait two years before you start throwing on mods.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
You have answered your own question.
Forget it and be sensible.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
What would my worst outcome be?
The worst outcone would be if you were towing a trailer and the wheel bearing seized up so the wheel broke off causing trailer to hit the ground and sparks to fly that resulted in a bushfire. And while you’re struggling to gain control you slam into an $800,000 Audi supercar which suffers superficial damage until the bushfire you started burns his car to the ground, along with farms, farmhouses, sheds and destroys crops and kills stock across the county.

As a result you get claims from all the farmers while the Audi driver wants a new car. So you lodge a claim... and they look at the exhaust and say... hmmm if we shaft this young guy for an undeclared mod we’ll save $20,000,000 by denying this claim...

Your girlfriend dumps you, you get tossed out of your house and you end up living under a bridge. Then you develop a taste for drugs and prostitute yourself to feed your habit :eek:

That’s probably about the worst thing that can happen :p but what’s the probability is the $20,000,000 answer :D

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Just go ahead and put the exhaust on. Long as it's not to noisy you will be fine. It's not as though you have bolted a turbo on. Drive sensibly and you won't have a problem with the cops.

VryBigPP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 MY14
If you are involved in an accident your insurance wouldn't pay for repairs and could cancel your policy. When you try to get insurance with another Company they usually ask if you have had a policy cancelled or refused insurance previously and would want to know why.

Best thing is to ring your Insurance company and ask if they will cover you with the modifications you want. Otherwise be patient young man and wait two years before you start throwing on mods.

I've gone ahead and done some research with different insurance companies, and it seems that Bingle Insurance would be the best suit for me, as their website says that any accessories and modifications made are automatically covered, they specify that I do not need to tell them what I'm adding, so long as it isn't on their modification blacklist (which an altered / aftermarket exhaust does NOT appear on it). That should cover my main concern of being refused service and cancelled policy because of it, correct?

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Do yourself a favour and contact your preferred insurance company, explain EXACTLY what you are up to, and if okay on the phone, have them confirm it in WRITING. Ok?

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Just fix your exhaust mate, fixing a rattly exhaust is maintenance not modifications

As long as it isn't to loud the police won't care

As long as it roadworthy the insurance company won't care

As long as your standard cats are in it the EPA won't care

If in doubt call your insurer not the interebs

Me, I would just take it to the local exhaust shop and get a quote to fit the "rattle"

Also, sometimes Ebay exhausts have a tendency to not bolt up right or hit the undercarriage

VryBigPP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 MY14
Do yourself a favour and contact your preferred insurance company, explain EXACTLY what you are up to, and if okay on the phone, have them confirm it in WRITING. Ok?

I'd love to do this, but unfortunately Bingle is an online-only insurance company by the looks, they don't have a phone number, and I can't seem to find an email linked to general support. And their help centre doesn't exactly help either, I can't submit my own questions or anything. As far as I'm concerned, I may have to take their word for it just from their website