Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P Plate Exhaust Modifications

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
EDIT: Remember, I'm a P1 driver, meaning any performance enhancing mods are considered illegal.
If the only mod on a V6 Eco is a 2.5" cat back then the performance improvements will be less than 5kw. It will be so minor you won't even know it has more power. As long as it has two mufflers I would not be too concerned. Personally, I feel you're overthinking it. If your that worried then just go a stock exhaust. Because unless you do other upgrades a cat back on a stock Eco will do nothing than show a slightly higher figure on the dyno.

VryBigPP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 MY14
If the only mod on a V6 Eco is a 2.5" cat back then the performance improvements will be less than 5kw. It will be so minor you won't even know it has more power. As long as it has two mufflers I would not be too concerned. Personally, I feel you're overthinking it. If your that worried then just go a stock exhaust. Because unless you do other upgrades a cat back on a stock Eco will do nothing than show a slightly higher figure on the dyno.

That relieves me a little, as I've contacted BudgetDirect live support earlier today, they said as long as it doesn't enhance the performance, they will insure it. If it is truly that minimal (which I hope it is), I should be able to get it on my policy over the phone, if I say it doesn't provide any performance enhancement.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I've heard good things about Shannons, I'll give them a call tomorrow during business hours for a quote, in the mean time I'm emailing a few insurance companies with my exact situation, to get an answer via email, which I can then take on the phone with another person to try and confirm it. I'm trying to remain completely in the right here, and to do the right thing so I don't make things harder for myself down the road, as I am indeed only in the very beginning of my automotive life, last thing I need is to taint it early on.

I recently went down to shannons office and spoke in person to them...I told them everything I had done to my VC and they had no issues insuring me...When it came to an agreed value, I was being very very consertative and they laughed at me and more than doubled what I was asking....

They are easy to find down South Road at Edwardstown, so definately worth the trek and yak to them...They can do it all on the spot. without sighting the car and even set up monthly insurance fees out of your choice of account on the spot...

VryBigPP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 MY14
I recently went down to shannons office and spoke in person to them...I told them everything I had done to my VC and they had no issues insuring me...When it came to an agreed value, I was being very very consertative and they laughed at me and more than doubled what I was asking....

They are easy to find down South Road at Edwardstown, so definately worth the trek and yak to them...They can do it all on the spot. without sighting the car and even set up monthly insurance fees out of your choice of account on the spot...

Doesn't sound like I'll have pockets deep enough to go with them unfortunately, but like I said BudgetDirect seems to be promising, I've chucked them an email so they can further elaborate that they'll cover me as long as I'm not enhancing my engine, then I'll take it to the phone.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Doesn't sound like I'll have pockets deep enough to go with them unfortunately, but like I said BudgetDirect seems to be promising, I've chucked them an email so they can further elaborate that they'll cover me as long as I'm not enhancing my engine, then I'll take it to the phone.

Why won't you knock on their door?

VryBigPP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 MY14
Why won't you knock on their door?

Talked to a close mate, said I'll be ineligible for Shannons anyway since I apparently need to be older to be able to strike a deal, said they're too expensive for me regardless. As for BudgetDirect, I don't know of any physical location I can rock up to in Adelaide to talk to a rep.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It would be worth calling Shannon's, rather than take your mates word for it.

VryBigPP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 MY14
It would be worth calling Shannon's, rather than take your mates word for it.

I'll give it a shot if I must, but I've been told they don't take too kindly to the non-enthusiast, and I don't think I'd class as an "enthusiast" with my fUlLy SiCk v6 eXhAusT bRah :p

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Just like there are requirements for owners to notify insurance companies if they want to cover "legal" aftermarket parts, there are also set rules and regulations to ensure that insurance companies don't void cover willy nilly to save some dosh

In saying that, if it is found that an "illegal" modification was "the cause" for the claim then you may not he covered

My advice it to talk to your insurance company, and learn to differentiate between appoved modifications, legal modification, a illegal modification, and general maintenance and replacement of parts

This can/does vary state to state

If in NSW also have a read of this > : https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/document...ndards/vsi-06-light-vehicle-modifications.pdf

VryBigPP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 MY14
Just like there are requirements for owners to notify insurance companies if they want to cover "legal" aftermarket parts, there are also set rules and regulations to ensure that insurance companies don't void cover willy nilly to save some dosh

In saying that, if it is found that an "illegal" modification was "the cause" for the claim then you may not he covered

My advice it to talk to your insurance company, and learn to differentiate between appoved modifications, legal modification, a illegal modification, and general maintenance and replacement of parts

This can/does vary state to state

If in NSW also have a read of this > : https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/document...ndards/vsi-06-light-vehicle-modifications.pdf

Already contacted a few insurance companies, notably BudgetDirect, who said they would be able to cover it as long as it didn't "enhance performance", which as @losh1971 noted, should be too minute to consider it performance enhancing.