Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P Plate Exhaust Modifications

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... as long as it didn't "enhance performance"..
An extra 5kw is still enhancing performance, just not by much, but it’s a measurable increase. If the insurance legal eagles get to have their say, what with you being a P1 driver, any performance enhancing makes it illegal for you to drive, even with a paltry 5kw of extra oomph at redline...

However those legal eagles will only be called in if it’s a huge claim and worth screwing someone (you) to get out of paying.

Considering that Losh also said you wouldn’t even notice the 5kw extra, I’m surprised you still want to spend a whole lot of money on shiny shiny.

I’d say avoid all these hassles and simply make sure the standard factory exhaust is roadworthy and not leaking. If your factory standard system is ok, keep it and save your dollars for more fuel or better factory sized tyres and better brake pads...

Better brakes and tyres will make a difference and may save your life... Loud exhaust will just attract unwanted notice :rolleyes: Just don’t paint the callipers red when installing better brake pads :p

VryBigPP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 MY14
An extra 5kw is still enhancing performance, just not by much, but it’s a measurable increase. If the insurance legal eagles get to have their say, what with you being a P1 driver, any performance enhancing makes it illegal for you to drive, even with a paltry 5kw of extra oomph at redline...

However those legal eagles will only be called in if it’s a huge claim and worth screwing someone (you) to get out of paying.

Considering that Losh also said you wouldn’t even notice the 5kw extra, I’m surprised you still want to spend a whole lot of money on shiny shiny.

I’d say avoid all these hassles and simply make sure the standard factory exhaust is roadworthy and not leaking. If your factory standard system is ok, keep it and save your dollars for more fuel or better factory sized tyres and better brake pads...

Better brakes and tyres will make a difference and may save your life... Loud exhaust will just attract unwanted notice :rolleyes: Just don’t paint the callipers red when installing better brake pads :p

I appreciate the smart thinking and suggestions man, I'll for sure looking at getting the brakes done in the near future. But, the "teenager on their first day of P plates" mentality in me just needs to make this 100% absolutely necessary change ;) Nah but seriously It's not a big expense for the one I want, single outlet catback exhaust with front and rear muffler is $180 from DEA Performance, and I'm just trying to be prepared for the worst. Odds are, I won't accident where my aftermarket exhaust is the sole deciding factor that makes them not cover me, but, like I said, trying to prepare for the worst. Hopefully BudgetDirect gets back to me with good news about my enquiry.

Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
V6's sound crappy as standard, a bigger exhaust will sound louder and crappier...

VryBigPP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 MY14
Update for anyone reading this in the future: Spoke to a family relative who works high up at QBE insurance, pretty much said they don't care about the exhaust modification and they won't pick you out for it should you have an accident, you'll just pay your excess and be on your way. Installed my new exhaust and I'm very pleased with it, not obnoxiously loud and attention-seeking, but still adds a nice touch in my opinion :)