Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P plate exhaust mods

MG's VH Wag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore Exec
I was looking to get a SS twin system as it isn't to loud and won't attract much attention but the whole insurance threat has put me off. Should I just get the system and test my luck or just leave it stock and spend the money elsewhere?

Same with me, i was thinking about risking it but also the insurance has just put me off. I don't want to risk it but then again if you drive safe the only thing you have to worry about is someone else crashing into you so there insurance would cover your car i think. If you drive safe you should be right. I myself still havn't made up my mind about puttin an exhaust on or not.

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
There seems to be a fair argument going on about P platers with exhaust mods and on another thread it was mentioned that if in an accident, insurance will not cover it because of the exhaust modifications regardless of who is at fault. That sounds a bit strange as I don't see how they can blame a crash on an exhaust modification but I understand that the driver was in a modified and therefore illegal vehicle.

I was looking to get a SS twin system as it isn't to loud and won't attract much attention but the whole insurance threat has put me off. Should I just get the system and test my luck or just leave it stock and spend the money elsewhere?

call your insurance company and ask, my friend was recently in a crash (not at fault) and the cops / insurance company didnt give a damn about any mods, in the end the insurance company said he could take off the mods that werent listed and return the car to how it appears "on paper".

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
The insurance thing was no doubt raised by me :p

You are only insured to drive a car you can legally drive. You are not licenced to drive a modified car, so simple they will not insure you if they find out you are driving a modified vehicle.
Yes insurance will still be void if your not at fault, thats what I'm trying to get across its not worth the risk. My mate (not the brightest spark) was driving his parents modified car when he was hit by a silly old coot in a car park. When the car was assesed by the other parties insurance company they came to the decision he was not licenced to drive the car, therefor the claim was void. It all caught up to bite him in the ass and he was a sorry boy after that. The car had small mods to from memory, exhaust, extractors, CAI, and tune from memory definitly was extensive mods.
The problem is insurance companies do not want to pay you any money, but they are obliged to, but if they can find any such way to get out of a claim they will.

lol @ calling the insurance company...... "Hi, Im just ringing up to ask if I crash a car Im not licenced to drive, will I still be covered" not to mention your insurance company is suppose to be notified of all mods anyway. Not worth the risk, its 4 years, just enjoy the freedom and learning to drive. Also worry about what other people are doing around you instead of power/sound.

Oh and for the record Im a red P-plater.

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
what if the exhaust had holes in it and needed to be replaced......

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
what if the exhaust had holes in it and needed to be replaced......

Replace with a standard replacement. I had no trouble geting a stock replacement for my VK, they even had it in stock in a small country town, so I dont think hes going to have problems getting one for a VY.

redcv6

supercharged intercooled
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss ute, diesel landcruiser 100s, hq panel van
just don't do what i did, pacemaker headers custom 2.5" pipes the whole way back, using standard cats 2 small mufflers and no rear resi.......... about 100-105db, and sounds like a fart mixed with a goat being kicked in the balls

redcv6

supercharged intercooled
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss ute, diesel landcruiser 100s, hq panel van
technically, technically, any modification done to your car that is not listed and accepted by insurance can void the claim.

nikolas

DK
Reaction score
Members Ride
Turismo VZ SV6
lol its really not that big a deal. was rolling around with just extractors and cats for a good week with interceptors on the back and didnt get hassled. oh and not to mention sssl king springs on the rear.

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed mafless VS Calais 5-speed.
Wouldn't worry about it mate. I've been driving my car with extractors/2.5" on P's for ages and never even been pulled over. If you wanna take the risk, put the cat back on and if you get trouble say you bought the car like that and you might only get a defect if you're nice. Then just put your old exhaust back on for the inspection. Rinse and repeat.